Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Clam shell is proud when the top is lowered

I have read several posts about top adjustments and remain confused on how to fix my top.

I have a 2003 S with the glass rear window and the roof seems to work perfectly except when lowered the clam shell is about 1/2 inch proud at the rear on both sides when the process of lowering stops. I can physically push down on the clam shell and it will go down the 1//2 inch and be like it should. What gives? Do I need an adjustment or is something worn?

Thanks in advance for any help.

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #2

The rails it rides in might be binding and need cleaning and a touch of grease. Also, check all of the other connections for good, clean, lubricated running.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
I have read several posts about top adjustments and remain confused on how to fix my top.

I have a 2003 S with the glass rear window and the roof seems to work perfectly except when lowered the clam shell is about 1/2 inch proud at the rear on both sides when the process of lowering stops. I can physically push down on the clam shell and it will go down the 1//2 inch and be like it should. What gives? Do I need an adjustment or is something worn?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Hi Thomas, mine has started doing the same, Im defo going to have a look as greasing the rails. Its strange it doesnt to it when the roof is in the up position. So it must be something to do with the actual roof being folded down thats holding the clam shell up
YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

It's possible your 2 rear cables need to be tensioned down where the clamshell meets the rear of top by weather seal.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #5

I am not sure if my clamshell is proud or embarrassed.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
I am not sure if my clamshell is proud or embarrassed.
Haha! Made my morning!!!
Nevergrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:37 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses. I tend to think it has something to do with the roof going all the way down and taking the clamshell with it. Perhaps a limit switch or more likely a ball joint adjustment. My clamshell is both proud and embarrassed.

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote