Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 03:33 AM   #1

SMART Top Relay Question

Anyone purchased a SMART Top relay from Pelican or any other distributor? I ask because I received mine in from Pelican today and it looks like a used relay, has oily thumb print on it a paper label that says smartTop mod4cars. I was expecting a new relay for $422.50. Even has an oily smell on it, it appears to be a modified relay as it has a 986.618.199.00 part number.

The picture on the website doesn't match what I received, so just want to see if this is normal. I usually receive brand new parts.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I have one and it is by mods4cars. Can't remember if it has that branding on the unit though or even a part number. It's probably been over 4 years since I looked at it
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
I have one and it is by mods4cars. Can't remember if it has that branding on the unit though or even a part number. It's probably been over 4 years since I looked at it
Thanks. I was just surprised at the condition it arrived in. ON the website it said to make sure the top is completely open before you put it in. Is that necessary? I got the relay to postpone the need to install the break micro switch, since its not working. No instructions came in the box just a relay.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #4

Does it matter? It goes into the fuse box and you'll never see it again.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
You can download the instructions on the internet. As for install Ive used the same one in 2 of my Boxsters and don't recall paying any attention to whether the roof was up or down. I think I only got the instruction many months after it was in. Mine just worked both times
Old 07-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Does it matter? It goes into the fuse box and you'll never see it again.
It does matter, if you pay for something suppose to be new then it should be new! If they tested it then it should be cleaned up. My point is paying $400 for the relay versus one been used for $200 big difference.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
You can download the instructions on the internet. As for install Ive used the same one in 2 of my Boxsters and don't recall paying any attention to whether the roof was up or down. I think I only got the instruction many months after it was in. Mine just worked both times
Thanks yeah I looked at the internet instructions says make sure top is down before installing. Just seems strange why it matters, since the cut off is a micro switch.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #8

Well got lucky brake micro switch functioned long enough to roll top down.

Now the one touch function doesnt appear to work. The brake is bypassed for sure though. Does the car need to be moving to activate the one touch? Instruction are a little vag when you are sitting still and try one touch.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #9

SMART Top Relay Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Well got lucky brake micro switch functioned long enough to roll top down.

Now the one touch function doesnt appear to work. The brake is bypassed for sure though. Does the car need to be moving to activate the one touch? Instruction are a little vag when you are sitting still and try one touch.
Yes, the car needs to be rolling.

OR

While it’s already closed, you can hold the close button for a few seconds and then tap the open button and it will work as one-touch.

The reverse works if the roof is open.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
Yes, the car needs to be rolling.

OR

While it’s already closed, you can hold the close button for a few seconds and then tap the open button and it will work as one-touch.

The reverse works if the roof is open.
Thanks will try it out!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #11
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
On a European car you don't need to be moving. It's one touch open and close without handbrake at standstill or up to 29mph or whatever the limit is.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You have to be moving to use it? That doesn't seem right.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
On a European car you don't need to be moving. It's one touch open and close without handbrake at standstill or up to 29mph or whatever the limit is.
Mine wouldnt 1 touch, havent tried again I had to leave to pick up my son at the airport. But did the quick touch to open and tried cloths didnt work. Going to try the hold it closed then quick touch open now see if that works.

It did open and close with hand brake disengaged.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Anyone purchased a SMART Top relay from Pelican or any other distributor? I ask because I received mine in from Pelican today and it looks like a used relay, has oily thumb print on it a paper label that says smartTop mod4cars. I was expecting a new relay for $422.50. Even has an oily smell on it, it appears to be a modified relay as it has a 986.618.199.00 part number.

The picture on the website doesn't match what I received, so just want to see if this is normal. I usually receive brand new parts.

Thanks
From their website, "This product is a modified original part. As a result it is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty and does not carry a type approval. Please make sure that installation and use is legal in your jurisdiction and be aware that you carry the responsibility for installation and use of the product."
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
From their website, "This product is a modified original part. As a result it is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty and does not carry a type approval. Please make sure that installation and use is legal in your jurisdiction and be aware that you carry the responsibility for installation and use of the product."
Thanks, I ordered it from Pelican. But at $400 a new modified original relay was expected not a relay with a greasy thumb print. Frankly I am not overly impressed with the product so far. Other than it works to open and close the top with the hand brake off and did get 2 1 touch operations to work.

Still trying to figure out the operation.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #16

Quote:
It does matter, if you pay for something suppose to be new then it should be new! If they tested it then it should be cleaned up. My point is paying $400 for the relay versus one been used for $200 big difference.
It's a relay, not a diamond. Pretty sure they modify the OEM relay to create this product, so technically it's not new.

Life is short, why stress about the little things?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
It's a relay, not a diamond. Pretty sure they modify the OEM relay to create this product, so technically it's not new.

Life is short, why stress about the little things?
Well I like to get what I pay for and a little attention to detail on a sale goes along way.

If i remember correctly the new oem relay is $200, not sure how long mod takes so there is plenty of profit margin to provide a nice product.

I dont mind paying, but I do expect to get what I pay for. I have no issue with a modified relay, I do have a problem with reselling a modified used relay with an apperance of being new! There website doesnt clarify that they use new or used but at that price point I expected a new and at least clean part.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #18

Anyone have a DIY to modify the factory relay?
Old 07-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
Only ones I have seen are done by bending pins, and running a ground wire from pin 15. I think its on pedros site. No 1 touch activation though.

I was reading the operating instructions again, need to keep working on the correct key combo and timing for the 1 touch functions.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #20
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
Look here...
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/59535-model-year-2000-2004-convertible-top-relay-mod.html

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote