Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #1

Car transportation

I'm looking at Boxster in CO which is 1500k miles from home base. I have never purchased a car out of state yet alone out of driving distance. I'm considering flying to see the car to look at the car, have it inspected and if all goes well purchase and leave it at a friends house.

I guess it is as simple as picking a transport company and setting something up? Does anyone have any recommendations?

gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:40 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsy4771 View Post
I'm looking at Boxster in CO which is 1500k miles from home base. I have never purchased a car out of state yet alone out of driving distance. I'm considering flying to see the car to look at the car, have it inspected and if all goes well purchase and leave it at a friends house.

I guess it is as simple as picking a transport company and setting something up? Does anyone have any recommendations?
My recommendation is to drive it back.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
My recommendation is to drive it back.
Ditto.

1500 miles is a breeze in the Boxster
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

I bought mine in s florida and drove it back to mi. I even took a long nap in a rest area on the way. If I had more time I'd offer to drive it back for you.
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

https://reliable-carriers.com/
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #6

FWIW, I bought mine in Ft. Lauderdale and drove it home to Colorado. Had a blast.

You don't buy a Boxster because you need it - You buy it for an adventure. So get that adventure started on the way home!

But if circumstances just won't allow that, here's a thread that might be useful -
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/923408-anybody-can-recommend-a-good-car-transport-shipping-company-2.html

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:14 AM   #7

my advice, i only shipped a car once from Vancouver WA to Connecticut, and i learned A LOT! the biggest take away, make sure you deal directly with a reputable shipping company as Brokers will tell you whatever you want to hear so they get paid. You have no control over the process or timing when using a broker and the lies just keep piling up.

My car sat in a dirt lot for 4 days before the truck picked it up. I was told it was being directly picked up by the carrier however some guy in a pick up truck attempted to take the car on a rotted wood single car trailer to the lot. Luckily the previous owner said no and drove the car himself as it was not far away to the pick up spot.

The car arrived 5 days later than scheduled and had every excuse in the book from the broker who said he was "on top of it". If i did it again i would absolutely pay a bit more and work directly with a shipping company like plycar.
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #8

Garage
I used Montway auto transport when I bought my car. If you can swing it, it is worth it to pay the extra amount to use an enclosed car carrier. I couldn't at the time so I went open carrier. The car came filthy but it came quick and it was in good shape.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
Who's askin'?

I agree... drive it back.
Unless you're considering that Colorado boxster on bring a trailer.... in which case: DON'T PLAN TO DRIVE IT HOME!

HAHAHA

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #10

Garage
I shipped my Boxster from PA to Denver in an enclosed container; best decision I made considering it was being transported during the Winter months.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 PM   #11

hay quá !

minhngoc2843 is offline   Reply With Quote