Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I went to there website and it says 1 year 12K mile warranty RND Engines – The Industry's Only M96/97 Engine Direct Replacement Program middle block. Maybe it does not apply to these, just repeating what is says on the home page advert advert.

It also says no core charge and free shipping for these motors also!
L&N sells them and they say that RND clearance engines have no warranty. These are supposed to be exceptionally good Reman'd engines and the clearance price is probably something in the neighborhood of $5 grand off.

Just went to the website, you're correct. They have a 90 day warranty. And no core! Optional 2 year warranty is $5000.

Don't delay, the offer expires tomorrow!

I'd really like one, but the money is just no available.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 06-14-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
L&N sells them and they say that RND clearance engines have no warranty. These are supposed to be exceptionally good Reman'd engines and the clearance price is probably something in the neighborhood of $5 grand off.

Just went to the website, you're correct. They have a 90 day warranty. And no core! Optional 2 year warranty is $5000.

Don't delay, the offer expires tomorrow!

I'd really like one, but the money is just no available.
Yeah I didnt read all the fine print, but reading over the build parts they are new engines when finished. Ims, rms, waterpumps ect.... I didnt see an option to have any type HP upgrades thought.

Another though if you want more hp why not a big bore kit? Cant rember which company, but there is one does a big bore kit for boxster.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:49 PM   #23

I know your worried about the money ect... but you are talking about spending the money to put in an LS1 engine, that is pretty expensive.

Flat Six Innovations offers several stages of engines for the Boxsters and 911s.
Big Bore and increasing levels to full race engine. Probably expensive, but if your willing to drop $10K to 15K on a LS1 conversion, you might be able to go with a Big Bore Kit and keep the car true to its heritage for similar money/or not. Anyway might be something to investigate.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 PM   #24

I can pretty much guarantee an LS1 conversion would be WAY more expensive that a bored plug and play... everything must be changed to make an LS1 work, all electronics, mapping, exhaust, trans, mounts etc. check out Hoovies Garage on Youtube for a great little video series on an LS1 swap into a 996. Not for the faint of heart, or light checkbook. Would be fun if $$ were no object, and the after swap sale value would be dismal comparatively speaking.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHornbeck View Post
Recently purchased a 2001 Boxster S with cracked heads, what should I do to repair it?

It is a great overall condition car with the right options, M030, sport seats, but does have 150K+ on chassis.

As it sits right now there seems to be four different options, which would you do.

1. Replace engine with used engine (around 4k for engine)
2. Have heads repaired (2.5k for head repair)
3. Put an Audi V8 in it (1.5k for donor car, ??? for other items)
4. Put a LS in it. (1k-8k for engine, 3k for adaptor plate, ??? for other items)

What are your thoughts?
Audi V8 shouldn't be on that list, Not even Audi people like the V8. We are currently developing a full engine/transmission Swap Cradle for The Audi Engines, Mainly the 2.7 Twin Turbo V6. The LS Swap, while I'm all for LS Swapping the world, it is one of the best engines ever created... But its physically too large and requires too much physical changes which ruin the integrity of things that you need, like Axles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Sell it as a roller and start looking for something more in line with your needs like a 911 or even a Corvette.

Boxsters ain't muscle cars, and if you try, it'll become an ongoing repair project and a money pit.
Why? Boxsters can be whatever the hell he wants it to be.

OP. Doing another Porsche engine is going to cost more than any (yes ANY) engine swap for what you gain in the long run. You keep the Porsche Engine, and the basic Porsche Sound. But you also keep the Porsche issues. You also keep the Porsche Tax.

LS Swap? Well the LS is a better engine than the M96 was ever dreamt it could be. It is physically very large. It requires not only firewall cutting and welding, you also have to shove the transmission back about 4" which puts a very dirty angle on driveline. Meaning it doesn't matter how much power you put down, you'll wish Axles were indestructible.

Doing an engine swap can be cheap or it can be very expensive. It just depends on your knowledge, or how deep your pockets are.

Thats my choice, based on Cost and what I get for that cost. You'd have to pay me to put another Porsche Engine in the car, and that price would be extremely high because it wouldn't be a M96 that goes in it.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #26

DarkStar,

Please tell me more about the 2.7 swap. Do you have an idea of release date and what the cost will be?
RLHornbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHornbeck View Post
Cunningr, Brian, hpfiend and PaulE,

Cunningr, I would go that way in a heartbeat if the engines where not just stock replacements. I really want more hp, and just to sell the car not sure it is worth dumping that much into it.

Brain, I currently own a 911 and have owned a Corvette. Hpfiend is correct in that I love the handling and feel of the Boxster. Most people once the swap is complete don’t have ongoing problems that I have found (save axle issues if transmission is moved to far back).

Hpfiend, adding a different Porsche engine is possible and probably the easiest to install but still would not give me the HP the Audi or LS would. They would also be very expensive as 911 engines start in the 8-10K range for high mileage examples. Then need the standard upgrades; spin on filter, IMS solution, AOS, RMS, and so on.

PaulE, I have read through that and many other ls swaps into Porsche’s. To me this looks like fun but I would hope to be on the budget side. Using a lesser engine from a donor car and fabricating all my own installation mounts and hardware (save the engine to transmission adaptor). With this said I think it could be done around 15k for the LS and a lot less $ but much more RND for the Audi.
I have a 2001 Boxster engine that has been rebuilt just like I did for my own Box for sale For $14,000. 3.6L LN billet alloy sleeves, JE 3.6 pistons, LN's best IMS etc!