Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 03:27 AM   #1
fab

zaino

I have to add my .02 about Zaino. I have been using Klasse and I like the results. But I've been hearing so.........much about Zaino that I had to try it. Well...the car looks amazing after applying the Zaino products.
Zaino just replaced all of my Klasse products. Rock on.....Zaino

painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:33 AM   #2

Nice to hear, fab. Which products did you use? The process? Pics?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:53 AM   #3
fab

z12358,
I used the ZFX system with Z-5 and Z-2. The color of my car is black and it's one of the hardest colors to maintain and keep clean. In my eyes I can see swirl marks that no one else can see. Yup, I'm picky. I applied 2x Z-5 and then 1x Z-2. I have Z-6 available but it wasn't needed. Save that for later usage.

FYI-Sal Zaino, is a great guy. He responded back to me asap with my questions pertaining to my car and his products.

Pic'swill come later on. I didn't have time last night. It's starting to get dark in the early evening now....ugh... summer gone...boo hoo hoo.
painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One
Old 08-31-2006, 03:58 AM   #4
bmussatti

Yes, I love the Zaino too. Very easy to use.

I was at a PCA Concours this past Sunday, and a guy had a 2005 Guards Red Boxster with a few (3-4) coats of Rejex on it...and it looked amazing!

I am using Rejex on my wheels (2 coats) now. And I put one coat of Rejex on my front bumper just to see how it works for bug splatter.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:05 AM   #5
fab

Let us know how front bumper works with Rejex. Don't you hate (bugs splatter)that!
Rejex on your wheels, hmmm. What where you using before Rejex came along on your wheels?
Where did you purchase your Rejex?
painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One
Old 08-31-2006, 04:14 AM   #6

I find it extremely easy to get rid of bug slatter and pretty much anything on the front with the clear-bra on it. What little marks don't get washed by the soap, they simply disappear after some Plexus, and that's it: front half of car is done. Perhaps I should've clear-bra-ed the whole car (which I had as an option, and have seen some Ferraris and Lambos fully covered) -- but wasn't that sure about the concept at that time.
Z.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:33 AM   #7
fab

z12358,

That was my first mistake, I did not haver a clear bra plastic put on and now I have chips/stone marks. Driving me crazy. I am inquiring about having my front bumper re-sprayed and then having someone appythe clear plastic. Did you apply the clear bar yourself? Where di you buy it? If not, who did it? How much did it cost to have done? Did you have the front panels done too?
painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One
Old 08-31-2006, 04:35 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab
Let us know how front bumper works with Rejex. Don't you hate (bugs splatter)that!
Rejex on your wheels, hmmm. What where you using before Rejex came along on your wheels?
Where did you purchase your Rejex?
The front end comes very-very clean with the Zaino, and it's easy. I just want to see if the Rejex works even better.

I had been using the Meguires NTX High Tech Wax on the wheels with great success.

I ordered a bottle of Rejex from "True Value" Hardware store for about $22.00.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:08 AM   #9

fab:
"That was my first mistake, I did not haver a clear bra plastic put on and now I have chips/stone marks. Driving me crazy. I am inquiring about having my front bumper re-sprayed and then having someone appythe clear plastic. Did you apply the clear bar yourself? Where di you buy it? If not, who did it? How much did it cost to have done? Did you have the front panels done too?"

Don't even try to apply it by yourself! As I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, it's not the material but the workmanship that you pay for. I did mine at a shop in northern NJ and I highly recommend the guy (anyone in the area interested, pls PM me for the contact info). It takes hours and hours to do this properly and it's very easy to screw it up if you don't have any experience. My car stayed more than week at his shop.

I did the full bumper, full hood (except for a couple of inches at the top of the hood, as the film that comes in rolls is not wide enough to cover it all), and full front side panels (fenders) all the way to the door's edge. My goal was to minimize visible edges so I went for covering the whole panels to their ends. Most people do just the bumper, front third of the hood, and front third of the side panels -- but that just leaves too many edges for my taste, and too little protection for such a low car.

The 987S bumper is rated difficulty 5/5 in their community as it has a lot of twists and turns in all three dimensions plus a lot of openings. On top of it, black paint is the least forgiving because every little imperfection shows. He must have spent 10 hours on the bumper alone. He re-did it three times because he wasn't satisfied 100% with the outcome the previous two times.

I remember I googled up a forum for professional installers (typically doing window tinting, as well). You can do a search and if you find it ask for a good one in your area. I think 3M also has a list of certified installers so you can search that one too. If I find the links for both I'll post them here.

You'll have to wait some time (months, I think) for the new paint to cure before you can instal the clear-bra but the installer will tell you that.

As for price, I don't feel comfortable advertising the deal I got from my guy but depending on the areas covered and difficulty involved it could range from $500 to $2500+ (for a full car) for a professional instal.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:11 AM   #10

fab, as I mentiioned in my previous post...

Forum for window tinters but a lot of them do clear-bra installs. Just search it for "clear bra":
http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php

Link to search for certified installers in your area:
http://www.xpel.com/

Hope this helps.
Z.