Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #1

Lightronics Question

I searched but found nothing on this subject so wanted to ask. I bought a set of Lightronics headlights off a forum member here. I installed them, upgraded the Low Beam fuses to 15amp as needed and thought everything was great.

Low beams work fine, Fog lights work fine, Passenger side High Beams and side marker lights work fine. Issue is Drivers side High Beam and Side Marker lights. As soon as i turn the lights on they blow their fuses immediately.

I put the stock lights back in, no issues so i know it is from the new Lightronic headlight. I took off the back cover and the wire coverings literally disintegrated falling off in a million pieces leaving plenty of exposed wire. So i got some of the liquid wire covering and set off at trying to coat the wires, it was tedious and i did the best i could, however after plugging back in the fuses still blow immediately.

I thought it was weird the side marker light goes out too, not sure how a short in the headlight will blow the fuse for that light but they must be related somehow. My questions is, has anyone ever had a factory light rewired? any other suggestions to try and fix the issue?

seems my only options may be to buy one light or try to rewire the existing but looks to be a long shot. Thanks in advance!

dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #2

there is a wiring kit w external controller that comes w the litronics - did you install that as well?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #3

No, i didn't need the auto adjusting headlights so just using the lights themselves
Old 06-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You obviously have a short somewhere. Remove the high beam and parking light bulbs, then test the connector to see if you have a short.

Using a multimeter on continuity check, place one lead on the common ground pin and the other on the high beam positive pin. Should read no continuity. Repeat with the common ground pin and parking light pin.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #5

Can't find my multi meter anywhere right now of course, will go out tomorrow and pick up another. curious to see what the readings are but i already figured it was a short. My real concern is the wires are all shot based on how the outside of the wires literally crumbles under any movement at all.

Last edited by dav9515; 06-06-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Most of the time, the copper is ok. The insulation is just crap.
A test light and a 9V battery would work, too.

You could start by pulling the socket to inspect the wires where they first enter the headlight. Remove the two screws and pry the socket off the headlight case (it's held on with strong double sided tape once the screws are out).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:26 AM   #7
Beginner

Garage
You need to remake the headlight wiring harness. Time consuming but easy. I have a thread somewhere in this vast forum showing how to do it.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #8

got a new multi meter today, continuity on both the High Beam and Parking lights with bulbs removed. now, i need to go through the wiring mess and try to find the issues!
Old 06-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #9

*Update*

I took the back plate completely off the light, removed all of the loose, dry, cracking wire coverings through the light and took up the tedious task of separating each wire out and coating with the liquid rubber wire tape. It was not difficult, just time consuming, and i am happy to report after letting it all dry apart overnight everything is working perfectly now!

Thanks to all whom responded and assisted.