Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 07:24 AM   #1

The Bird has become a rubber duck! quacking sound!!!!

Hi all. Out of the blue the car has started making a "quacking" noise like a toy rubber duck that matches wheel speed at slow speeds. It's so comical! But I hate it... people are laughing at the car instead of the previous... Ooooooooohhhh, nice car sounds they'd make. The car is a 2000 Boxster 2.7.

The suspension is the M030 and was refreshed last year and has been quiet until a drive home from the pub on a bit of a lumpy road.

Since the sound follows wheel speed and I'd expect the bearing to make more of a grinding noise I am leaning towards the CV and/or CV boot on the driver's side. Has anyone else heard this comical yet frustrating noise?

TheBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:00 AM   #2

Maybe your ride developed a personality disorder! .

Sorry, couldnt help myself, any specific side or corner wheresound eminates?
Old 06-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
MWS

Try and identify which wheel is the culprit, then start with the simplest things. Look for anything that might be contacting the tire (plastic flap, etc) and check your tires. I once had a tire that made a "flap-flap" noise...it turned out a plastic label. Also try to free spin the tire and pinpoint from there. I always start with the simplest/dumbest things and work upwards.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Beginner

Garage
Make sure the outboard rear axle nuts are fully torqued. I had a similar noise and replaced the rear bearings only for the noise to return. Turned out I only needed to tighten to axle bolts.