Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

Parked Right Next to Me

Ever happen to you? Happens to me every day.

(for the record, this is not me, just some guy who made a video that I found funny!)

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #2

Love this!
He speaks for me and all of us with lowered cars.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #3

Every damn time.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #4

So true!! In Spain its worse not only next to you but practically in the same spot.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've had them park so close that I couldn't open the driver's door far enough to get my fat azz in.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #6

Garage
Years ago my elderly mom couldn’t get into the drivers side because som3 idiot parked 6 inches away from her. She had to crawl over the passenger side and into the drivers seat. She started the car and it shot forward, only to be stopped by a snow bank. Otherwise she would have crossed a major thoroughfare. People are all about themselves. They have no concept of the consequences they may cause to others.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #7

My wife and I also experience this phenomenon regularly whether in the Audi, Porsche or Explo Sport. We always park in the middle of nowhere, careful to center the car in our space or snuggled close to the curb/edge if we are in a corner spot. Usually we come out to find one or more jack@sses parked next to us, often over the line in our space. It’s horrible in Texas, but not great in NYS either.

I think it’s part subconscious herd mentality, part indeference and part complete cluelessness regarding what the (usually) white stripes are for on the parking lot.

The second day after returning to Texas after 10yrs overseas, we picked up my wife’s new S5 cab and stopped on the way home to get her EasyTag. As usual we parked in the middle of nowhere. We came out to find a car pulling in next to our car, over the line in our space. Not seeing us (or not caring) the passenger gets out, let’s the door slip and contacts our driver side door. She laughed and made some comment to the driver and then she saw us. ~12 miles on the Audi and already this. I called her out and told her if she had damaged our car she was paying for it. Her reply was, “hey it’s just a car, get over it - next time buy something you’re not afraid to use”. What a great welcome back to the US and to Texas.

Fortunately there was no ding, not even a scuff mark, but my soul hurts when I think about the large number of people who live their lives with this type of attitude and lack of respect towards others.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
My wife and I also experience this phenomenon regularly whether in the Audi, Porsche or Explo Sport. We always park in the middle of nowhere, careful to center the car in our space or snuggled close to the curb/edge if we are in a corner spot. Usually we come out to find one or more jack@sses parked next to us, often over the line in our space. It’s horrible in Texas, but not great in NYS either.

I think it’s part subconscious herd mentality, part indeference and part complete cluelessness regarding what the (usually) white stripes are for on the parking lot.

The second day after returning to Texas after 10yrs overseas, we picked up my wife’s new S5 cab and stopped on the way home to get her EasyTag. As usual we parked in the middle of nowhere. We came out to find a car pulling in next to our car, over the line in our space. Not seeing us (or not caring) the passenger gets out, let’s the door slip and contacts our driver side door. She laughed and made some comment to the driver and then she saw us. ~12 miles on the Audi and already this. I called her out and told her if she had damaged our car she was paying for it. Her reply was, “hey it’s just a car, get over it - next time buy something you’re not afraid to use”. What a great welcome back to the US and to Texas.

Fortunately there was no ding, not even a scuff mark, but my soul hurts when I think about the large number of people who live their lives with this type of attitude and lack of respect towards others.
Unfortunately this attitude seems to be quite prevalent in today's society. Easy credit, marketing and poor parenting have turned things into disposable items. Things you don't need to care for, because you'll be getting something newer in a few years time.

You can bet that if people had to sweat their asses off to save for it, they would be more concerned about how it was treated.
ShortRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #9

Here the Spanish look at cars as just transportation, and it is truly a culteral thing except for the few car guys around.

I have a parking spot lined out in underground parking for example, i take time to parke dead in the middle. One neighbour parks with there tire exactly mid way of the white line, cant say anything because techincally he is in his spot. Logically guys is an a$$. Well within next couple of weeks i will have a wall up and a sliding door. No more door dings.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #10

I swear people do it on purpose. I parked my car way out my work parking lot and some 18 wheeler came in and parked his front right fender 2 inches from my left front. Parking lot was empty. People just don't care about others stuff. I always make it clear to people that it's not an expensive car but it's an expensive car to me that I would like to keep for a long time.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #11

Garage
Oh they do it on purpose. I came out one day to find a jacked up 4X4 straddling my front quarter. My drivers headlight was basically under his passenger door. HAHA Funny....I'm sure they were watching.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #12

There are plenty of horrible and inconsiderate parkers out there. I have a friend who calls them "Approximate Parkers." In addition to that though, I think commercial real estate developers want to maximize the number of parking spaces the can fit into a lot for a mall, motel, restaurant or office complex. So they take a few inches off each side of each space. It gets to the point where even if every car parks perfectly straight and centered in their space, cars side by side cannot open their doors without risk of their doors touching the car parked next to them. Now add in some Escalades, Super Duty Crew Cabs and other oversize vehicles, along with the Approximate Parkers and see what happens.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
There are plenty of horrible and inconsiderate parkers out there. I have a friend who calls them "Approximate Parkers." In addition to that though, I think commercial real estate developers want to maximize the number of parking spaces the can fit into a lot for a mall, motel, restaurant or office complex. So they take a few inches off each side of each space. It gets to the point where even if every car parks perfectly straight and centered in their space, cars side by side cannot open their doors without risk of their doors touching the car parked next to them. Now add in some Escalades, Super Duty Crew Cabs and other oversize vehicles, along with the Approximate Parkers and see what happens.
Try parking in Spain for example. Cars have increased in size since they they became attainable for the masses in the 70's, but the parking spots haven't grown to accommodate them.
You can park a Renault 5 just fine, anything bigger and tough luck for you if you have to park next to someone else. That and the palsy they are suddenly afflicted with as soon as they need to exit their vehicle after parking within 25cm of yours.:dance:
Old 06-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortRound View Post
Try parking in Spain for example. Cars have increased in size since they they became attainable for the masses in the 70's, but the parking spots haven't grown to accommodate them.
You can park a Renault 5 just fine, anything bigger and tough luck for you if you have to park next to someone else. That and the palsy they are suddenly afflicted with as soon as they need to exit their vehicle after parking within 25cm of yours.:dance:
Oh yeah dont I know!!! How about the double parking in Sevilla where they leave car in neutral so you can push them around like a puzzle game.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #15

Garage
I always park out in the far reaches of the parking lots and make the long hike to the buildings.
But, there are some businesses, malls and stores that I refuse to visit due to the small parking spaces. I've got choices of where and who I do business with and I won't put up with annoying things like undersize parking spots or lack of parking spots.
Damn, I'm getting old and grumpy...!
Old 06-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Oh yeah dont I know!!! How about the double parking in Sevilla where they leave car in neutral so you can push them around like a puzzle game.
Lol, and don't forget the beloved gorrillas.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #17

Garage
I will drive past an open parking spot based on the looks of the car next to it...if they don't care about how their car looks they aren't going to be careful about what they do to mine when they get back in.
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
Thom

Garage
Disabled/Handicap Spot

I am a disabled vet and have DV handicap license plates on my cars. I get dirty looks all the times when I pull the car into spots. On Monday this week I was trying to pull into a spot when a taxi pulled into the handicap spot at the outlet mall here in Orlando. I laid on the horn and forced him out of the spot. The taxi driver (they all suck here in Orlando) then pulled forward and smashed right into the scooter carrier attached to the trailer hitch of the next car over. I got out and chewed his ass about parking in spots where they are not allowed just because he was only dropping off a fare. Then I laughed at him and said that really sucked. Went shopping and came back. The taxi coordinator was there telling the other car's owner they would pay for a new scooter rack. I just gave him a look and left.

People suck, and I am an A-hole. I have to live with that I guess.

Cheers and be safe.

Calmg0d is offline   Reply With Quote