Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #1

Help with 2004 Boxster S option Codes

Hello from Australia!

I am in need of some help investigating a 2004 Boxster S 986 option codes. I am looking to buy the car and have been going over it. I took a picture of the option codes in the handbook and under the front hood they both match, but I have a few questions about some of them:

581 Front center console - why would this be an option?

601 xenon lights - there were no washers on the headlights. I thought that was needed for xenon?

476 PSM Porsche Stability Management - there was no switch on the dash to turn this on/off??? How can it have the code with no switch?

680 Bose sound system - the car had focals in the front doors so clearly they were changed. But there was no bose sub/rear speakers. Just the little storage section instead... could you option the 680 bose for just the speakers in the doors only without the rear/sub?

CDaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:48 AM   #2

04 box

fwiw- The Bose rear speakers are a removable unit. There should be a (disconnected) wire with plug remaining on the right side of the rollbar area if Bose woofer/hornbox was originally installed. Can get photo tonight if you need it.
newcider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #3

If your into audio dont get overly excited about the bose. Focals are much better speakers.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I am not so much concerned with the Bose removed - I know they are terrible units. I am more concerned there are option codes that can’t be found in the car.
So assuming a previous owner went through the effort of replacing the Bose door speakers with the focal, and then went to the effort of removing the rear sub for the tiny compartment storage.... how does the PSM option code appear in the sticker but no PSM button on the dash?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDaly View Post
Thanks guys, I am not so much concerned with the Bose removed - I know they are terrible units. I am more concerned there are option codes that can’t be found in the car.
So assuming a previous owner went through the effort of replacing the Bose door speakers with the focal, and then went to the effort of removing the rear sub for the tiny compartment storage.... how does the PSM option code appear in the sticker but no PSM button on the dash?
I see your point, could be has a different front hood or a bonnette as they say in UK. Lol. My opt codes are on the inside of the frunk. Just a thought.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I see your point, could be has a different front hood or a bonnette as they say in UK. Lol. My opt codes are on the inside of the frunk. Just a thought.
Yeah, my initial thought! But another look shows the hood/bonnette/frunk sticker matches the booklet! Cannot work it out.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:32 PM   #7

Yeah kind of a conundrum there, probably some logical explanation. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:33 AM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
For the headlight washers, wonder if the prior owner removed the nozzles (and replaced the corner trim with the base type) due to breakage. It's possible.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:42 AM   #9
superdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
For the headlight washers, wonder if the prior owner removed the nozzles (and replaced the corner trim with the base type) due to breakage. It's possible.
I am going to do that to my '04. Those washers are very flimsy. I used them once and the plastic pieces flew out of the housing with the washer fluid! I'm thinking of replacing the entire headlight units, but if I can find that piece on its own without the washers on it, I'd like to replace just that. Its such a useless feature, even if it did work properly. I'm not taking my car off-roading or driving in dirt/mud lol.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdim View Post
I am going to do that to my '04. Those washers are very flimsy. I used them once and the plastic pieces flew out of the housing with the washer fluid! I'm thinking of replacing the entire headlight units, but if I can find that piece on its own without the washers on it, I'd like to replace just that. Its such a useless feature, even if it did work properly. I'm not taking my car off-roading or driving in dirt/mud lol.
You can use the nozzels off a bmw to do an easy repair. You have to cut the nozzel out of the housing then super glue it into the boxster nozzel hole. No need to remove bumber, cost like $15 for the nozzel.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
superdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
You can use the nozzels off a bmw to do an easy repair. You have to cut the nozzel out of the housing then super glue it into the boxster nozzel hole. No need to remove bumber, cost like $15 for the nozzel.
Yeah, I know about the BMW part. I've thought of replacing them, but to be honest, I just want them gone. They're just an eye sore for me.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDaly View Post
Hello from Australia!

I am in need of some help investigating a 2004 Boxster S 986 option codes. I am looking to buy the car and have been going over it. I took a picture of the option codes in the handbook and under the front hood they both match, but I have a few questions about some of them:

581 Front center console - why would this be an option?

601 xenon lights - there were no washers on the headlights. I thought that was needed for xenon?

476 PSM Porsche Stability Management - there was no switch on the dash to turn this on/off??? How can it have the code with no switch?

680 Bose sound system - the car had focals in the front doors so clearly they were changed. But there was no bose sub/rear speakers. Just the little storage section instead... could you option the 680 bose for just the speakers in the doors only without the rear/sub?
Very interesting! My Australian delivered 2004 S has the same options listed on the service manual sticker and on the frunk sticker, but mine doesn't have the Bose speakers (just Focals in the doors), PSM button or dash light, and no xenon headlights. Everything else tallies, but not these. I could not imagine a previous owner removing all these, so the mystery deepens. All I can assume is that for some reason the codes are incorrect. Maybe they ran out of parts/had a schnapps break/couldn't be arsed at the factory? Anybody else with phantom options?
bigdogedits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #13

I find it hard to believe that Porsche put out a car with improper codes on some items but not others. Seems more likely that in 16 years and ??? number of owners things were changed. Can the PSM actually be turned on/off or is it a feature that is always on. or possibly the switch went bad and previous owner replaced it with a blank switch and the wiring is behind the dash.

SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote