Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #1

Clutch pedal engages high

As the title states ....... last summer I bought a 98 base with 9100 miles on it and since have put on another 6K basically the car was a 20 year old new car. I’ve had manual tranny’s my entire driving history, just saying I’m not a beginner. The clutch pedal engagement is getting higher and higher with NO slippage at all, I have power bled the clutch twice (pedal depressed) with no improvement. I’ve read posts on slave cylinders and master cylinders but can’t find any tests to prove which one or both would be causing my problem. Are there any tests or suggestions you know of? I do all my own work and would prefer not to change parts/money unnecessarily. I absolutely love the car but would love it more if the clutch pedal felt better, the clutch assist spring has been removed. Thanks in advance, Dave

WhiteyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #2

No one has a high pedal but me...........
Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #3

Sounds like it’s clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate time. Especially if getting worse. As a 98, probably ok to leave the IMS alone, but might be worth a look... rear main seal gets done too...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Sounds like it’s clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate time. Especially if getting worse. As a 98, probably ok to leave the IMS alone, but might be worth a look... rear main seal gets done too...
At 15k miles?

The clutch hydraulic system is self adjusting, so engaging high (or low, for that matter) has nothing to do with clutch/pressure plate/flywheel condition. When my clutch started slipping, it was still engaging at the same point as always.

There is something wrong with the hydraulic system.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-23-2018 at 11:14 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:03 AM   #5

Thanks, yeah it’s hard for me to imagine the clutch and flywheel at 15K miles. I do agree it seems like hydraulics, I was just was hoping I could have learned from others who have experienced the same high pedal engagement and what they did to fix.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
MWS

A couple of years ago (at 35k mi) I had my IMS upgraded (LN) and opted to have the clutch proactively replaced. When I got the car back, the pedal engaged much higher than before and was significantly stiffer. Having owned many manual cars, I wasn't concerned as clutch replacement always changed the feel. Point of all of this is....clutch feel (to me at least) is subjective and the "ideal feel" varies from person to person.

I'm sorry I can't speak to your issue directly from a technical standpoint, nor can I say if what you are experiencing is of any concern. Perhaps there is another 986 owner in your area (or better yet, a forum member close) that would allow you to drive their car to compare pedal feel.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #7

My friend in LA has a 99 Base Boxster with fairly low miles and the clutch engages at a high point when releasing the clutch pedal. The clutch doesn’t slip at all and seems to work fine, it just feels strange compared to my 2003 S, and I get used to it after driving for a while when I get to LA each year for a visit.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #8

When I was searching for my Boxster I test drove 4 cars all of which had the high clutch engagement. I kept passing on these cars thinking that they were at the end of their clutch life from searching the forums. Then I read elsewhere that they self adjust and that high release points are just very common. Shortly after I purchased mine and it has the same high release point. Doesn't slip, works fine, not worried although I do favor a adjustable one. Much like the IMS issue that hovered over me when I first started researching our cars, I wasn't going to let it get in my way of owning these fun little cars.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
At 15k miles?

The clutch hydraulic system is self adjusting, so engaging high (or low, for that matter) has nothing to do with clutch/pressure plate/flywheel condition. When my clutch started slipping, it was still engaging at the same point as always.

There is something wrong with the hydraulic system.
Yeah, that’s what I get for skimming the post. Didn’t see the mileage, just the year. Having said that, it is possible to fry a clutch in a very short period of time, prob not the case... but it can happen...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:16 AM   #10

Thank you guys for taking the time. I guess I’m going to replace the slave and master. I started searching for replacements, it looks like all the current replacements are plastic........ My slave is iron not sure about master.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:32 AM   #11

Garage
My 2003 has high clutch pedal and I took it this week for spring checkup and asked about the high clutch pedal and they said it's normal some high some lower. So nothing to worry about.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #12

Whiteyll, considering that the car is already 20 years old, I would recommend to replace the rubber hose that attaches to the slave cylinder as these, when they fail (internally) don't show it outside, unless you get someone to push the pedal while you watch if the hose 'ballons' under pressure.

This is a common failure on the slave cylinder of the Alfas with a transaxle, also new hose should not be expensive.

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #13

Thank you Gilles very good suggestion, I'll order with slave cylinder
Old 12-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #14

I guess I'm gonna go in

Ive been chasing this long enough...... the car a 98 now has 24K miles. I just don't like the feel of my high engaging clutch pedal, I've bled it, replaced the slave and pressure line, and master and bled it again and still the same high pedal. I guess I'm gonna go in and see if I can find anything. I'll replace the RMS, clutch and pressure plate, actuator pivot lever etc. Is there anything else or upgrades from another year? I don't want to replace it all and come away with the same high pedal. Is there anything I've missed? Thanks for your time.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #15

Also replace the release bearing if you are replacing everything else. Check the condition of the flywheel face and also the spring return action (or whatever it is called) on the dual mass flywheel and replace the flywheel if needed. I think the pilot bearing is integral to the flywheel. It sounds like you want a "normal' clutch driving experience on the street, so I wouldn't recommend a lightweight flywheel. The AOS may be a bit easier to change with the transmission out, check the transmission mounts and the CV joints and boots.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 12-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #16

Thanks PaulE, yeah im going to replace the release bearing for sure. I’m hoping with the relatively low miles the flywheel would still be fine it’s not jerky at all on engagement. The car came with a standard Sachs clutch kit which I am going to use. With the clutch being hydraulic you kinda get what you get on the engagement point, I want to do all I can for it to engage in the more mid range on the pedal. The Box came with a Motorsport AOS installed so I’ll keep that. I was hoping there was maybe a different actuator arm or known suggestion for me to address.
Thanks again
Old 12-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyII View Post
Thanks PaulE, yeah im going to replace the release bearing for sure. I’m hoping with the relatively low miles the flywheel would still be fine it’s not jerky at all on engagement. The car came with a standard Sachs clutch kit which I am going to use. With the clutch being hydraulic you kinda get what you get on the engagement point, I want to do all I can for it to engage in the more mid range on the pedal. The Box came with a Motorsport AOS installed so I’ll keep that. I was hoping there was maybe a different actuator arm or known suggestion for me to address.
Thanks again
You should be all set with the Motorsports AOS! One thing my shop told me is that the bolts that attach the flywheel to the crank are the type that are torque once - so they should be replaced every time the flywheel is removed from the crank. Hope it works, my friend in LA is living with his high clutch engagement!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 12-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #18

I ordered parts from Pelican on the 24th which showed up yesterday! Waiting on my LN Retrofit which will be the end of the week. I’m making the tooling and could use some help on the IMS center bolt thread size so I can get a coupling nut for my puller. I’m not going to start the tear down until next week and from pictures the LN centerbolt looks larger? Thanks for your help......
Dave
Old 12-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #19

Garage
There has been some past discussions about a way to assemble the clutch release assembly to change the release point. I do not recall where that discussion/option is located.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #20

Wow would love to get my hands on that I’ve been searching.....