Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

Garage
03/04 glove box retrofit to earlier years possible?

Hi all,

Can you make an 03/04 glovebox/dash fit into earlier years?
If so, what goes into this procedure and is it even worth the task that is required?
Any leads on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #2

I recall a posting years ago asking the same question and the conclusion was it was an enormous task involving the entire dash support structure. Don't recall ever seeing someone do it and posting pictures or instructions.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #3

Garage
I thought I did too, but I can't seem to find the post anywhere.

My dash has the leather lifting slightly from the front where the rain sensor is, probably from sitting in the sun I'm guessing, so it would be a good opportunity to refresh it with a new dash from an 03, along with a glove box. Of course, only if it's possible...
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Old 05-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Can’t recall where I saw it, but there was a thread somewhere saying the entire 2003-04 dashboard is interchangeable with older models.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #5

Garage
Yes, you can! But you must swap dashboards with a 03/04. Thats it! So if you need a how to, just lookup how to remove the Dashboard in a 986/996, and install is reverse.

Actually about to do this to mine.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Yes, you can! Actually about to do this to mine.
the answer I was seeking! how did you come to this conclusion? did you see a thread somewhere that someone has already done this?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I remember that thread. Conclusion was that it would require replacing the entire dash, but I think 1 or 2 people where crazy enough to do it. Here's the thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/14597-glove-box-986-a.html
Old 05-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #8

Just wanted to mention to the guys doing the dash replacement...

While you have the dash out would probably be a great time to replace the foam on your heater box flow control doors...
Old 05-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

Another note ...

The later dash features completely different center plastic, i.e. hvac vent, switch mounts, radio mounts, etc. So, you need those parts, too.

FWIW the expensive cupholder (standard equipment) for the new dash doesn't take up an entire mounting space as does the earlier cupholder option.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Another note ...

The later dash features completely different center plastic, i.e. hvac vent, switch mounts, radio mounts, etc. So, you need those parts, too.

FWIW the expensive cupholder (standard equipment) for the new dash doesn't take up an entire mounting space as does the earlier cupholder option.
Yeah, I already switched my center parts and vent to the 03/04 mainly because I fabbed in a 8.4" Tablet. But the Glove Box is what I want.

I've already removed the dashboard, it isn't difficult at all. Can be done by the average joe with the proper tools (google search Dash Removal 986) in a few hours, add an extra hour or two if you have help.

In case its not covered on wherever someone is reading, the center brace seen in my picture here is different, so you have to get this too. IF you don't, glove box wont install. If you don't install one, the dash will sag. Prob more with the added weight of whatever might be in the glove box.

And in case anyone asks why I put a Tablet in my car.... what better?
Old 05-23-2018, 02:32 AM   #11

With the dash broken down that far if you haven't addressed the foam inside the Air Duct issue, would be a good time.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #12

It means changing the dashboard. Don't do it!!!!!! Been there, done that.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam View Post
It means changing the dashboard. Don't do it!!!!!! Been there, done that.
No Way? It's soo simple a 5yo child could do it so what's the problem?
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
Hi all,

Can you make an 03/04 glovebox/dash fit into earlier years?
If so, what goes into this procedure and is it even worth the task that is required?
Any leads on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

anything is possible...

... with enough time and money

Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
anything is possible...

... with enough time and money

This however is possible via about $250 and 3hr of your Time.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #16

I recommend that you bring it over to DarkStar for the afternoon and he'll have it done in 3 hrs. Bring him a six-pack for his trouble. And you can get a new dash on e-bay for a song in your favorite color......
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #17

Garage
I don't necessarily need Ebay. There is a reliable Porsche Salvage yard in my city. I know for a fact right now they have an 04 Black/Silver Dash and the Matching Bose Door Panels.

I honestly don't get whats soo funny here? Removal of the Dashboard has been well documented by many on this site and other PCar Forums. It is not a hard nor long procedure.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
With the dash broken down that far if you haven't addressed the foam inside the Air Duct issue, would be a good time.
Echo, echo, ....

My thoughts exactly!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
In case its not covered on wherever someone is reading, the center brace seen in my picture here is different, so you have to get this too. IF you don't, glove box wont install. If you don't install one, the dash will sag. Prob more with the added weight of whatever might be in the glove box.
the center brace in this photo, is also in the 03/04 dash correct?

so for clarification purposes, if the parts car I'm sourcing this dash/glovebox from is still fully intact, I should be able to get all the parts I need from this car right?

Very much appreciated Darkstar, and BirdDog, lkchris, Cunningr for the info
Old 12-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #20
Vza

Dash retrofit

Hi All, I installed my dash with glove box.... now only to realize that the right duct work has to be altered. I read posts that said the center duct was different but didn't put 2 and 2 together and installed everything. I imagine the center and right are replaced. No way am i pulling everything out again. Is there a work around maybe using flexible duct work? Thanks v

Vza is offline   Reply With Quote