Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #1

squeak/creak from behind passenger seat?

I have 987 boxster that emits a squeaking/creaking sound from behind the passenger seat when the top is up and I'm making turns at low speeds. I haven't been able to isolate the area, but it sounds like it's coming from either the convertible top or trunk area.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I'm curious if it's something I can take care of, or if it needs to head back to the dealer.

pbadss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
bmussatti

Sorry I can't help you. But, please report back to the Forum, after you have visited the dealer, and this gets resolved. I wonder if the roll-bar could be loose.

Last edited by bmussatti; 08-29-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #3

Both 987s I've owned make a noise (since new), but it's more of a metallic rattle and it's only when making sharp lefts at low speed. I've only noticed it when driving in multi-level parking garages.

I wouldn't sweat it, the 987 base had 21K when I let it go, and it was never an "issue".

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadss
I have 987 boxster that emits a squeaking/creaking sound from behind the passenger seat when the top is up and I'm making turns at low speeds. I haven't been able to isolate the area, but it sounds like it's coming from either the convertible top or trunk area.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I'm curious if it's something I can take care of, or if it needs to head back to the dealer.
I have the exact same problem, but I can't find the source. I know that it started immediately after having my car serviced at the dealer to fix a broken cord in the convertible top (the one that keeps the top neatly folded). It sounds like its coming from behind the passenger seat, near the top so maybe it is related to theconvertible top.?.?.?

Rick
rickhuizinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #5

Make sure your seat backs aren't rubbing against the roll bars. If you adjust the angle too far back, the leather will rub against the bar and you'll hear some strange sounds. It's a design defect IMHO.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:56 AM   #6

I second what longislander1 said...

I sincerely hope it is simply what longislander1 stated. It happened to me and I felt pretty stupid, but at the same time the fix was cheap!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:30 AM   #7
1JB

I posted a description of a sound that appears to be similar to yours in my 987. It sounded as though it was immediately behind the head rest with the top up but with the top down I concluded it was the left rear suspension area. It turned out to be the right rear strut. Porsche dealer also replaces a couple of other parts in the suspension first but I can't recall the exact names. The chirping sound went away with the strut replacement. It would do so with the slightest ripple in the road at times but could not be duplicated by pushing the rear of the car up and down. The dealer could isolate it to the area of the suspension using some sort of diagnostic listening device but not the specific component. Do a search for "chirping sound" and I think you will find my post. It may have the additional part information. If the car is under warranty it should be fixed. It drove me nuts.

Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote