Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: What's Your Position on Fuel?
I'll seek out non-ethanol fuel at any cost 4 13.79%
I'll use non-ethanol if/when I come across it 10 34.48%
I don't fret over the type of fuel I use 15 51.72%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #1

Non-Ethanol Fuel

Curious how everyone is about fuel....

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I use it from time to time, but I always use it when I store the car for the winter.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #3

there's no "real gas" available locally, so I can't worry about it. When I lived in the Pac. NW, there were a couple of places in the small town that carried it. I tried it in my V8 pickup, it didn't make it run any better and I couldn't see any better gas mileage.

Our gas in Tucson all comes from the same terminal. Only difference is the additive package. So I use one of the more budget gases, Fry's/Kroger, and I buy Techron by the quart or half gallon when I can find it.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
. . .Our gas in Tucson all comes from the same terminal. Only difference is the additive package. . .
After 30+ years in O&G exploration and production I can assure you that this is the case more often than not.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #5

Some very small airports and of course marinas have the gas you're looking for.. will they sell you some is the question.
mikeinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #6

Garage
Plenty of "Pure" gas stations here in the southeast. It is the only thing I will put in our vehicles unless there are no other options. We have a '95 Jeep Wrangler that recently had to have all the rubber fuel lines replaced because the 10% ethanol fuel destroyed them. I use the "Pure Gas" app when traveling outside our local area to identify stations that offer 100% gas.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:58 AM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Locally I can only get ethanol-free in 89. So regular E10 in 93 it has been.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Wawa and a couple of other stations in my area have non-ethanol, though I'm not sure of the octane. I'm pretty sure however it's 89. I am definitely concerned with the effect of ethanol fuel on the rubber lines.

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
Wawa and a couple of other stations in my area have non-ethanol, though I'm not sure of the octane. I'm pretty sure however it's 89. I am definitely concerned with the effect of ethanol fuel on the rubber lines.
I believe that the Ethanol (and Methanol) affects the metal fuel lines as it promotes rust, but may be wrong..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #10

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-16-2018 at 10:54 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I believe that the Ethanol (and Methanol) affects the metal fuel lines as it promotes rust, but may be wrong..
Gas containing ethanol has multiple downsides:

1. A given volume of ethanol is approximately one third lower in BTU output than the same volume of pure gas, so any level of ethanol is going to have lower power potential.

2. Ethanol picks up water and carries it in gas. As the direct result, any gas containing ethanol will cause mild steel fuel system components, lines, or tanks to rust.

3. Vehicles converted to E85 use have all stainless fuel components and special injectors to deal with the corrosive nature of higher alcohol level's water content.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Gas containing ethanol has multiple downsides:

1. A given volume of ethanol is approximately one third lower in BTU output than the same volume of pure gas, so any level of ethanol is going to have lower power potential.

2. Ethanol picks up water and carries it in gas. As the direct result, any gas containing ethanol will cause mild steel fuel system components, lines, or tanks to rust.

3. Vehicles converted to E85 use have all stainless fuel components and special injectors to deal with the corrosive nature of higher alcohol level's water content.
Curious on your thoughts of running non-ethanol 89 octane vs. E10 93 octane ? As you stated any % of ethanol will have less BTU's then " straight " gas . So is non 89 close to E10 93 octane ? Will there be a noticeable difference in performance ? I know the knock sensors will kick in if needed but just curious on your thoughts . My gut tells me 89 octane non-ethanol may be the better choice .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
MWS

It's too darn bad we can't just stop subsidizing ethanol...if we did, the price would be prohibitive and demand would drive the reversion to "regular" gasoline. I understand this is a complex issue with multiple parties involved, but if there are tax dollars used to artificially hold down the cost of the fuel, I'd greatly prefer the same dollars just be given to the growers and producers directly...perhaps as an incentive NOT to produce.

I guess I look at it this way...if ethanol was such a great fuel, by demand there would be far more vehicles that use pure ethanol than there are now. In a free market, consumers (by the wisdom of the masses) choose the best product. In a subsidized market, those forces are stunted and the natural evolution and progression of products are forcefully directed, quite usually toward a less favorable outcome.

Cork in mouth...rant over. Sry.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Curious on your thoughts of running non-ethanol 89 octane vs. E10 93 octane ? As you stated any % of ethanol will have less BTU's then " straight " gas . So is non 89 close to E10 93 octane ? Will there be a noticeable difference in performance ? I know the knock sensors will kick in if needed but just curious on your thoughts . My gut tells me 89 octane non-ethanol may be the better choice .
A best, the performance differences for four octane rating numbers is small, but still in the favor of the 93. If you are concerned about the corrosion potential from the ethanol, simply add something like StaBil when filling up, which will prevent the problem while stabilizing the fuel.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #15

Buy the highest octane, either 91 or 93, that you can find from the busiest, nation brand gas station. Don't fret about 10% ethanol. Octane trumps ethanol.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
A best, the performance differences for four octane rating numbers is small, but still in the favor of the 93. If you are concerned about the corrosion potential from the ethanol, simply add something like StaBil when filling up, which will prevent the problem while stabilizing the fuel.
Thank you for the reply .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:18 AM   #17

This is a great forum. I have been in the gas business for many years and this is the first thread regarding ethanol blended fuels that did not include combat between posters. It is also very refreshing to see accurate and factual responses regarding this highly charged and often political issue.
JohnRedS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedS View Post
This is a great forum. I have been in the gas business for many years and this is the first thread regarding ethanol blended fuels that did not include combat between posters. It is also very refreshing to see accurate and factual responses regarding this highly charged and often political issue.

Hahah. Just don't ask "what oil should I use?".
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #19

Unsure what the cocktail is in the US but in Canada Shell v-power has 0% ethanol. That’s all I used in my 986 and now my 987. I have no scientific reasoning, but anecdotally, I used to have an RX-7 and it seemed to have some issues running on ethanol content, I switched over and everything smoothed out.

Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote