Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Which tires haven't been mentioned yet? Put me down for those.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Which tires haven't been mentioned yet? Put me down for those.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barcsu8A3VE
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #23
MWS

To qutote someone: "it's not the age, it's the mileage." For me (at least tire wise) age gets me way before miles...well maybe that's also true in other aspects too. Sigh.

Regarding the OP question...asking what the best tire is like inquiring as to the best food. It depends on the desire and expectation. Value for money is a completely different subject.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #24

Garage
Best tires

Just as an alternative because I think they are a bit cheaper and a step back from the supersports are birdgestone potenza.

I have them oem on my Abarth 124 and they’re pretty good! Less grip
Than the supersports (I think, it’s hard to control for the 205 width vs my boxsters wide 18s). But still pretty good tires.

Last edited by BIGJake111; 05-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
To qutote someone: "it's not the age, it's the mileage." For me (at least tire wise) age gets me way before miles...well maybe that's also true in other aspects too. Sigh.

Regarding the OP question...asking what the best tire is like inquiring as to the best food. It depends on the desire and expectation. Value for money is a completely different subject.
You got that right!

For me though never cheap out on tires or brakes. Its the only direct contact between you the road and stopping!

I think you need to decide on your goal as mentioned, and decide on whats best one. For me i only drive Fridays and weekends and not in rain. I like grip! Good luck. If you dont like your choice you can always change em they will wear out.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good one, Tommy, nice idea to give the new guy some hope!
Missing a decimal me thinks.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #27

Quote:
You need to take your car out of garage and drive it more often!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #28

Running BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE760 SPORT. They last fairly long. Perfectly good for running around town and countryside. Bridgestone offers even longer lasting models for Boxsters.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:35 AM   #29

It's not so much the brand but more the tread wear rating . Generally speaking sticky performance street tires will have a tread wear rating of 200 - 280 . While a tire designed to last longer will have a rating of 300 and higher , the higher the # the longer it will last ( in theory ) . But as you go higher on wear rating you start to lose grip/performance that is where the trade off takes place . You also have to consider how many miles a year do you drive ? I'd rather wear out a set of tires than have them expire due to build date . I think most " experts " will say tires should be replaced about every 5 years due to age , UV exposure , cracking/checking etc. but I know most people go much longer . Good luck with your tire search .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:37 AM   #30

Garage
Try using simple math as a guide.
Good long lasting all season passenger tire 60,000 miles
Typical base line for daily driver @ 12000 miles/year = 5 years to reach end of tire by mileage and close to time as well

How many of us are putting 12000 miles a year on their boxster at this point?
I did the first 2 years as my daily but now it is closer to 5-6k
so that = 10 years on a long wearing tire
So a good high perf summer gets around 25k (That is high end) so that = 4-5 years.
So you could take 5 years of expected driving, divide by expected miles/year and that will give you an idea of what type of tire to buy (And if cold/slippery weather is involved)
I run my summers year round but it is dry only driving and with caution and pretty limited

Last edited by kk2002s; 05-11-2018 at 03:42 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #31
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
You need to take your car out of garage and drive it more often!
Yes...I know. I haven't even pulled the car cover or tender yet. In my defense, it's only 56F here now.

I should work out an arrangement with my neighbor who has a nice boat, which is still covered. Free use of Boxster for use of boat. Wonder if that would fly?
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
I have Hankook V12 Evo tires. The rears last between 25K to 30K. So about 3 seasons for me. This is my second set. I've been happy with them. You might want to check your alignment if your are wearing way faster then that.
Not super happy with the Hankooks on the track, though just fine for street. I am going to go with Sumitomo HTR Z 3's here soon. Look like a great bang for the buck tire on the Boxster. Very popular with the car club guys around here.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #33

A Bargain Heads-Up

See this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/62941-firestone-firehawk-indy-500-a.html

And then note that there is, once again, a $60.00 rebate deal going on right now, until the first week of July 2018.

I've had these for a year or so now, and highly recommend them.

Thanks - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #34
Track rat

Garage
I love the OP sentiments. It is exactly the opposite of my preferences though. Getting new tires is like opening gifts on Christmas morning. They roll so smooth and grip like nobody's business in the corners. Woohoo! I can't wait for my old ones to wear out so I can GO GET NEW ONES!!!

Seriously though, I run extreme performance tires and expect them to last about 6K or one year on my car. If you don't care about performance and just want a long lasting tire that doesn't suck, choose an A/S tire with the highest treadwear rating you can find. That is probably 420 in tires that fit our cars. I run a 700 TW on the grocery getter.

The other trick is to spend $100 and get an alignment that emphasizes tire maximum tire life. A very neutral alignment will probably double the tire life on our cars.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
A very neutral alignment will probably double the tire life on our cars.
...and halve the fun
Old 05-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Yes...I know. I haven't even pulled the car cover or tender yet. In my defense, it's only 56F here now.

I should work out an arrangement with my neighbor who has a nice boat, which is still covered. Free use of Boxster for use of boat. Wonder if that would fly?
I'm in Michigan and at 56F I'm driving with my top down! Drove through rain today, get a reminder to blow through those drain holes... wet carpet behind the seat.

No, boat won't fly but may float
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #37

Garage
I run Bridgestone RE-11's for autocross but on the off season I use BF Goodrich Comp-2 all season tires. They are relatively cheap and have an aggressive tread pattern. I get my best PAX times in the early spring and fall events. They handle really well. I love them. I would go with RE-71's but they don't make them in a stock 17 inch size. If I went with a 225/17 tire I would be out of the stock class unless I got 18" wheels. They were available in 2004. Good muck.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #38

Tire design is a series of tradeoffs and what might be right for one car wouldn't be for another. Likewise for my versus your location. I've bought only Michelins since about 1970 and for both my Boxsters. I also got a wear biased alignment on my Boxster and that gave me twice the wear as before the alignment. To get that you have to have someone do it who knows how to set up a car beyond just getting it into spec. What this end of the spec does as opposed to that end. How this spec interplays with another. Look for someone who sets P-cars up for racing. My last set of Michelins I actually swapped out because of age and not wear.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
See this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/62941-firestone-firehawk-indy-500-a.html

And then note that there is, once again, a $60.00 rebate deal going on right now, until the first week of July 2018.

I've had these for a year or so now, and highly recommend them.

Thanks - DM
This is my 3rd season on these tires. I don`t track it but I do drive it wink wink.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #40
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Running BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE760 SPORT. They last fairly long. Perfectly good for running around town and countryside. Bridgestone offers even longer lasting models for Boxsters.
This is a great tire I’ve been running for a year, good wear but trade off on traction. Next set will be a softer compound since I care more about traction, plus some water shedding in case I get caught in rain

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote