Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 01:28 AM   #1

Garage
Check engine light - code readers

OK - so I bought my first Boxster last week (2003 2.7 manual), and already have a few issues. Some are (I think) minor, but the worrying one is that the check engine light has come on. Bought privately, so not much chance of any comeback with the seller. Obviously I either need a code reader, or take it somewhere to get codes read. Seems to make sense to get a code reader, but what's the best one to get and where (I'm in the UK ), ideally without spending too much...

James

jmdlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
A Durametric will be a better long term decision.

Diagnostic Tool for Porsche | Durametric
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #3

Even a cheapy code reader from HF can be a big help. They can read basic codes to direct you to the problem. Most are capable of resetting the ECU and are helpfull for readiness codes.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If you have an android phone, the elm327 is convenient. Otherwise, any cheap code reader is the same as the next.

The Durametric is the best Porsche specific scan tool and can do a lot more than a standard code reader, but most people will never use 75% of its functions and it costs almost $300.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
If you have an android phone, the elm327 is convenient. Otherwise, any cheap code reader is the same as the next.

The Durametric is the best Porsche specific scan tool and can do a lot more than a standard code reader, but most people will never use 75% of its functions and it costs almost $300.
AGREED. Look on eBay for an Elm of a cheap reader that will detect codes and erase them......$30 USD or less.

I have a 2003 Boxster and a CEL when I bought it. It had multiple vacuum leaks and a bad vacuum canister. That is where I would start of course depending on the code you get. Get a code read and report back here.

The Durametric is well worth the money if you want to get into this deeply......nice thing is it will also tell you if all the smog check monitors are passed. plus a lot more as well
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #6

Garage
Thanks for the help so far. I've ordered an ELM327 unit - should get it by the weekend, and will report back with code(s). Cheap enough not to worry if I do end up going for a Durametric.

James
Old 05-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #7

Ask on boxa.net as there are many UK folks there who will help you with the code reading if you happen to be near them. I see it all the time.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #8

Garage
I bought the Durametric. It's an outstanding tool! Can record all the data on your notebook while driving. You can test dang near everything on the car with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:26 AM   #9

Garage
So I finally got my cheap bluetooth code reader and an Android app...

The fault code is P2098 - which seems to be a generic code for "Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2", although I've also seen it identified as "Signal Delay Time for Oxygen Sensor Ageing, Bank 2 – Above Limit"

So - CATs? Sensors? Exhaust leak? I can't hear any obvious exhaust leaks.

I thought I might try swapping round the O2 sensors left to right bank, and see if the code changes.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
I bought the Durametric. It's an outstanding tool! Can record all the data on your notebook while driving. You can test dang near everything on the car with it.
Yeah, it's grand...but overkill for the average Joe.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdlister View Post
So I finally got my cheap bluetooth code reader and an Android app...

The fault code is P2098 - which seems to be a generic code for "Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2", although I've also seen it identified as "Signal Delay Time for Oxygen Sensor Ageing, Bank 2 – Above Limit"

So - CATs? Sensors? Exhaust leak? I can't hear any obvious exhaust leaks.

I thought I might try swapping round the O2 sensors left to right bank, and see if the code changes.

Any thoughts?
Start by clearing the code. See if it comes back.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:11 AM   #12

Garage
So I cleared the code about 10 days ago, and it came back yesterday. Is there any reason I can't just keep clearing it? I'm assuming it isn't anything too serious if it doesn't come back straight away...
Old 06-06-2018, 06:55 AM   #13

Garage
Sure you can clear it every day if it comes back but your not doing yourself any favor. Get it fixed before it gets worst.