Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

Good Deal / What To Look For?

Hi all,

My wife and I are about to invest in a 1999 Porsche 986 Boxster (2.5L) that has 140,000km on the odo (87,000 miles). It has the Tiptronic transmission. It is in decent condition (the plastic rear window looks like it will need replacing as it's a little yellow - but otherwise in great shape and maintained at a Porsche dealership here in Calgary). In Canada we are going to be paying CDN$12,500 (about US$9,750).

We're getting a pre-purchase inspection on the vehicle. However, I wondered:

1./ what do you think about the price?

2./ is there anything at this age / distance that we need to look out for?

3./ what do you recommend we look at replacing/servicing at the next service?

Cheers in advance...

Calgary986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #2

Calgary986,

I have a 99 Boxster that I purchased in Sep 2009, with 104,000 miles. It now has over 312,000 miles.
1) get the service history of the car and service whatever needs to be done that has not been done. It appears that is is coming up on a major service (90,000 miles)
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #3

Garage
I purchased my 03 S going on 3 years now has 101000KM just do regular maintenance on it like oil change in the spring when I take it out of hibernation and change whatever needs to be done when it needs it.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

p3230, mnc-i:

I appreciate the responses, thanks very much. We're getting the inspection at a "Euro-cars" mechanic (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, etc.) but will then do all maintenance directly with our Porsche dealer.

Calgary986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #5

The '99 is the best of the 2.5L engines. Had one.

As to buying and recognizing that where the car is you may have limited options, a general "foreign" car mechanic won't have the Porsche specific experience that I recommend for the Pre-Purchase Inspection. At least have them drop the oil filter and examine it carefully. Then the obvious things like tire condition and age, brake pad and rotor thickness, oil or anti-freeze condition and any leaks ... A good mechanic will already have a PPI form they follow. Ask to see it before you engage them.

Are there any records of service available that would give you some history? If not consider looking in the service book and having the most comprehensive service (in the US it is the 90k service) done. I did and it set me up for 5 years of wonderful driving.

As to the price, all prices are local and seasonal. In the US, that would be high for a '99. I sold my '01S 3.2L for $12.5K US in 2012 with the about same mileage, records, new PS2 tires and needing nothing except a little rip in the rear window fixed.

Yellow rear windows can be polished out using a kit consisting of Novus 1, 2 and 3.

More on buying a Boxster.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote