Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #21

The OP is in Ontario California

Here's the thing, the car is done with all the radical stuff, probably no one will want it for any price. If you hadn't guessed we mostly don't like the idea. You can toss "uge" amounts of money and it may never be able to get smogged or registered, if it runs at all. And after 25k it will still be worth nothing.

Nice dream, tho. If I had loads of money to spend, I'd probably buy a much newer Boxster or Cayman and find an old bug to turn into an uber dune buggy. Or maybe a twin turbo Miata.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 04-19-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:25 AM   #22

I have been toying with the idea of what am I going to do with my 02 S if the motor goes. I have 216K on it. I bought the car for $6k, and everything was in perfect shape, just had a lot of miles on it. Renegade is the name of the company that does the LS swap. You can do anything from an LS1 through an LS7. An LS3 will cost around 15-20k. Installed. But that is over 400 hp. Look up Apollo 911 on youtube. If you do an LS3, with catalytic converters you should be able to get it smogged. you will have to go through a referee station for that. I also am thinking about a 3.6 swap, again around 15k for someone else to do it, you get that sweet Porsche sound and 320 hp. This is all up to you, if you have the extra cash, why not? Just remember that the motor swap alone will eat up most of your $25k budget, and if there is anything else you need to fix or upgrade that adds more $.

Last edited by rczap; 04-20-2018 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Clarifying
rczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:27 AM   #23

I've heard a lot of negative comments about Renegade Hybrids from the 944 community. Biggest complaints seem to be that they don't really support their product after purchase - some have claimed that their kit is missing some key components, and they leave you on your own to figure it out. No personal experience though, and for all I know they may have plenty of satisfied customers who have no need to complain on the internet.

I've thought about what I would do if I ever needed to replace the engine in my car. Right now the car is mostly stock so probably not worth putting too much money into it, but I'd like to upgrade the suspension and maybe an interior refresh. If that happens, then I'd probably be more inclined to do a 996 engine swap.

kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster , engine swap , nissan