Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Thinking of Selling the Boxster for a 996 Turbo

I know, I know...It took me a long, long time to find this Boxster, and I'm having a real hard time with the thought of letting it go. IMS/RMS has been done, I'm essentially the 2nd owner, and it has less than 40K miles on it with an amazing service history in addition to sporting a very rare color. The car was custom ordered locally (Reeves) by the original owner with very specific options, and I'd venture to guess it's one of the nicest Boxster's in the country. Garage kept it's entire life, never driven in the rain, and in near flawless condition. Even the top looks brand new.

A buddy of mine bought an '02 Turbo last year, and I have to say, it's a wicked fast, fun car. I think they're going to appreciate pretty rapidly, particularly if it's a low mileage, mint example. I've been looking at the '01-'04 Turbo's since my buddy bought his, and they are indeed $5K-$7K higher in just 12 months. I'd be looking at it both as an investment and a fair weather, weekend driver, as is the Boxster. Even in the condition my Boxster is in, I don't believe it's going to see the appreciation that a 996 Turbo will over time.

Problem is, I'm really attached to the Boxster, as I love the way it looks, the way it handles, etc. I can't go anywhere without people asking about it, but I guess a few drives in a Turbo may cure me of that. Or will it?????

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White

Last edited by Seadweller; 04-03-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I have both, my Boxsters are much more fun on twisty roads.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Rule #1: Never buy a car as an investment. Assume that it will lose value and if it doesn't, you got lucky.

With that being said, 996's are great cars but I'd buy a 996 GT-3 before the Turbo. Accelerating quickly is fun ... for about 10 mins, then I'm bored. But the GT-3 is fun in every corner.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Racer Boy

The Turbo doesn't have the IMS issue.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
MWS

Both. If it's garage space your concerned about, get a bigger garage.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #6

I rode in a buddy's 996TT at Roebling, had the PSS9 or 10, Tarett bars, lsd, 2wd conversion, it was a monster. I loved it. One day...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
I looked hard at a 2002 Turbo. It is an affordable 200mph supercar that is well suited for Grand Touring. Ultimately it was heavy, and not as much fun to drive as the Boxster street or track so I let it go. They don't have IMS issues but they do have cooling line issues that require engine-out to repair. Typically $5k to have it done at a shop.

Investment? Don't count on it. Prices have firmed on them over the last few years but I don't expect to see significant appreciation like the aircooled market ever. Your odds are better in Vegas.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:58 AM   #8

Indeed, the Mezger engine is one of the appealing characteristics of the car. I believe the GT-2 and GT-3 share the same block as well. Regarding the cooling lines, my buddy's car recently dumped the coolant, and is in the shop as I write this to get the fittings re-welded. It was an engine-out repair as mentioned.

Perhaps Hemming's is overstating the appreciation of the 996TT. I'd love to have both but can't add another car to the stable without letting something go. I'd love a GT-3, but they're a full $30K more than the 996TT.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:29 AM   #9

Like Tom said above - GT3

https://ourridelife.com/2018/04/04/is-now-the-time-to-buy-a-porsche-996-gt3/
Old 04-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #10

I have a friend who is a turbo nut, he is on his 8th turbo. Its a gt2 conversion, full carbon fiber package over 600hp. He uses as a drag car, always breaking stuff. It us insanely fast.

He drove my boxster when he was viditing, anfd i took him on some twisties. His comment was he couldnt do those in his car because it had too much power.

So I agree dont buy a car as an investment, buy it to enjoy. The turbo and boxsters are very different machines and provide enjoyment in their own way. Only you know if you prefer a fun all rounder or a car that is scary fast.

Make a wise choice and dont look back!��
Old 04-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #11

Welded?

I think the issue is that the cooling system fittings were pressed in and glued at the factory. After a certain number of heat cycles they let go and welding them in is the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
Indeed, the Mezger engine is one of the appealing characteristics of the car. I believe the GT-2 and GT-3 share the same block as well. Regarding the cooling lines, my buddy's car recently dumped the coolant, and is in the shop as I write this to get the fittings re-welded. It was an engine-out repair as mentioned.

Perhaps Hemming's is overstating the appreciation of the 996TT. I'd love to have both but can't add another car to the stable without letting something go. I'd love a GT-3, but they're a full $30K more than the 996TT.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I think the issue is that the cooling system fittings were pressed in and glued at the factory. After a certain number of heat cycles they let go and welding them in is the fix.
Sorry, yes, welded would be the correct term...They are indeed pressed in...