Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #21
Toppy

Garage
I installed an 03 a couple of years ago, love it, I always thought it was odd to get out 1/2 way through putting the top down to chop the plastic window, with a power top you should be able to sit throughout the whole process

Old 03-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ttleBastard View Post
Because I like Blue and you're not the boss of me!
Geez I was just wondering your thought on Burgabdy as a fellow polar silver car owner, who was bored with the color combo...

So did you get your boss approve blue top over black interior?
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #23

Garage
I've experienced 3 different rear windows in my 98 Boxster.
My car came with the factory hardtop option which gives GREAT visibility and a rear defroster, but alas, does not go up and down. It is a great compromise for the dark rainy months (Oct to June) in Seattle.

My original soft top had the plastic rear window which was so badly discolored after 20 years that I could not see anything thru it. It finally cracked one day when it was getting the chop...

I have had a original style soft top with the glass window installed, visibility is excellent thru the glass window and the rear defroster is nice to have. BUT, the smaller size of the glass rear window does reduce overall visibility. As others have mentioned the glass rear window in an original style soft top also makes DIY in the engine compartment a bit more challenging...

Kevin
Old 03-05-2018, 05:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Geez I was just wondering your thought on Burgabdy as a fellow polar silver car owner, who was bored with the color combo...

So did you get your boss approve blue top over black interior?

One step ahead of you my friend. Going to do blue seats and a few other tricks to the interior
L1ttleBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #25

Glass v Plastic rear window: which do you prefer?

Quote:

One step ahead of you my friend. Going to do blue seats and a few other tricks to the interior

Good plan!

I humbly offer this as a design template (in case you haven’t seen it) for your consideration...

I’d be curious to see pics of yours in blue when it’s done. My daily has a factory blue/black combo that I love.

Sorry, off topic I know.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #26

Quote:

Interesting, I recall liking 993 with polar silver and blue top/ blue leather interior scheme. Anyway good luck and show some pics when done!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #27

I swapped my cracked plastic window top for a new one with a glass window on the same frame. The rear window is significantly smaller which affects rear visibility a bit, but now I know it won't break, so I recommend it highly.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
Good plan!

I humbly offer this as a design template (in case you haven’t seen it) for your consideration...

I’d be curious to see pics of yours in blue when it’s done. My daily has a factory blue/black combo that I love.

Sorry, off topic I know.
I do like the red with the black, and blue is my favorite color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Interesting, I recall liking 993 with polar silver and blue top/ blue leather interior scheme. Anyway good luck and show some pics when done!
Working with an upholster now
L1ttleBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
I swapped my cracked plastic window top for a new one with a glass window on the same frame. The rear window is significantly smaller which affects rear visibility a bit, but now I know it won't break, so I recommend it highly.
I know I said I wasn't going to do it, but I found a nice, complete 03 top and frame this weekend at a wrecker in Phoenix. $1000 for the top, and a set of black carpeting is included. I jumped on it. Can't pick it up for a couple of weeks. But I think I'm pretty excited by the prospect. I wish it was closer, I'd like to pick over the just junked car--nice shape just an engine expired. Might be buying some other must haves for my project car.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #30

My 98 got a new GAAH top with a glass back window last October. I'm very pleased.
One question for those that had a new top installed....... the first couple of times I tried raising and lowering the top I had some difficulty un-latching it and relatching it. It was a bit of a 2-handed effort and needed more "force/effort" than the old previous top. I spoke to the installing company and they assured me that in time it would loosen up (ie: stretch out a bit). They advised me to store it with the top up (I store it over the winters)....and said that I shouldn't have a problem when I open it or close it in the Spring/Summer. They did say that IF I had further difficulty there is some small adjustments they could make but told me to hold off on that until I give it more time..........

Any thoughts from those of you who have had new tops installed?
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #31
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yes mine was a little tight when it was first installed. What the guy told you seems correct to me.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #32

Thanks for the reply.

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloth top , new top , plastic window , top replacement