Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #1

Wet trunk floor...

No, it was not coolant caused by infamous leaky reservoir, thank god!!! Fluid has no smell, thin and clear. I peeled back carpet and area below the tank was dry, just to confirm my senses.

Car was parked outside, when it was raining hard all day. Most soaked area was the right corner but middle floor got slightly wet. My weatherstrip looks great and no trace of leak around it, or even around the taillight housing.

I removed the wooden floorboard and found rubber bellows under the rear spoiler shaft/ cylinder, it appears to drain water through the floor. I noticed tiny tears in it but not sure if they could leak that much fluid. I disconnected the bellows from the plastic elbow tube and it was wet inside, even a few days after the rain. I blew air through it to make sure no clogging.

Anyone experienced water/ rain leakage into trunk, and what did you do to fix it? Could the rubber bellows and/ or clogged drain be it?

1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #2

Possibly a bad tail light seal? Check your rear drains just in case. Not sure from where, but if they are clogged water could possibly migrate.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Possibly a bad tail light seal? Check your rear drains just in case. Not sure from where, but if they are clogged water could possibly migrate.
What rear drain, where? I checked around the tail light gasket but no sign of leak there.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
MWS

Drain locations, thanks to Mike Focke, et al

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Drain locations, thanks to Mike Focke, et al

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram
Thanks, I know those drain locations, but they seem not relevant to rear trunk leakage... if those drains under the clamshell were clogged (which I routinely clean), water could have been entered from front wall of the trunk where was dry.... most soaked area was in the back in right corner.

Also it does not list two drains in the trunk floor from the spoiler mounts or drains around the taillight mentioned, which I’m curious now.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Thanks, I know those drain locations, but they seem not relevant to rear trunk leakage... if those drains under the clamshell were clogged (which I routinely clean), water could have been entered from front wall of the trunk where was dry.... most soaked area was in the back in right corner.

Also it does not list two drains in the trunk floor from the spoiler mounts or drains around the taillight mentioned, which I’m curious now.
Have you considered drying down everything... and running a water hose around suspect areas to identify where is the leak?

Could one of the drain hoses have a leak... down where you can't see?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #7

I would put a small child (my grandson) in the trunk with a flashlight. Run the garden hose and see if they find a spot where water is running in. Make sure you treat them to ice cream when done.
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Have you considered drying down everything... and running a water hose around suspect areas to identify where is the leak?

Could one of the drain hoses have a leak... down where you can't see?
I can but before I do I want to know which drain holes may be suspect. Those under the clamshell are out, I guess boots from the spoiler bars into the trunk floor may be suspect but where are other drain holes that may be potentially lead to leakage into trunk?
Old 02-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin headlight Ernie View Post
I would put a small child (my grandson) in the trunk with a flashlight. Run the garden hose and see if they find a spot where water is running in. Make sure you treat them to ice cream when done.
I like the idea, as long as he won't spill the ice cream over my car!

It takes heavy rain for long period, though. The car had been in rain, car washes, etc. in the last 2 years and the trunk had been dry until last week. Actually it was under light rain since and no leak.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #10

My trunk floor got wet again, this time from 6 in snow covered the car then melted, and wet spot was just in the right corner area.

Lifted the carpet and metal floor is rather dry everywhere, so I ruled out the leak from the spoiler drain or somewhere from up front. Water I guess dripped from above, then it got to be through the weatherstrip around the trunk. No obvious cut/ rip, and trunk lid shows dark witnessmark of contact.

I’m Wondering if the weatherstrip is aged/ compressesed to produce less contact pressure? When I place a thin plastic bag cut into a strip over the weatherstrip then close the lid, I can pull it out relatively smooth and easy. I wonder if someone with dry trunk can do this test and see how strong the contact pressure should be???

Last edited by Boxstard; 03-04-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #11

I adjusted the lid bumpers and latch so it sits slight low and get firmer contact to the weatherstrip. Film strip pull-test feels tighter, will see if it keeps the carpet dry.