Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Next gen upgrade

She's treated me well but I've been hankering for a 987.2. Found one last week.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jQ6wA4wLQEDKWRZu2

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

They both look great! Congrats! Do tell about your new car!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
That is quite a pair. Our 09 S is an amazing car. It is night and day different than our 97. Love both cars. I need to bring my 'A' game for the 09. The 97 is just simple fun.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
They both look great! Congrats! Do tell about your new car!
A base model like my '98. I was hankering for an S but didn't find one I really liked in my price range so that will have to wait I upgrade to the 981. As it is, this is equal to a '98 S in performance...a little better, actually, with the PDK.

This one is pretty loaded, PDK, navigation, full power/memory heated and ventilated seats. It has a clear bra on the bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors. The finish is in incredible condition.

Two things I would liked to have had; the sport package (apparently can be upgraded for about $1200) and 18" wheels (the 17" wheels and 50/55 profile tires on this one look silly balloon-like to me.) I've already found a set of used 18" wheels and tires for a ridiculously cheap price.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:34 AM   #5
I am No. 1348

Garage
For those upgrading, thinking of upgrading, or who have upgraded, is there a major difference between the 986 and the 981 (2013+) ?

I must say, I am a high tech fan even though I was born in the 50's.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
For those upgrading, thinking of upgrading, or who have upgraded, is there a major difference between the 986 and the 981 (2013+) ?

I must say, I am a high tech fan even though I was born in the 50's.
981 is a considerable upgrade...much more refined interior based on Panamera. Newer stiffer chassis. The problem I had was justifying the cost which is about a $10K bump from the 987.2. I'm hoping the 981's will be more affordable in a couple more years.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:53 AM   #7
I am No. 1348

Garage
I hear that. Unfortunately, I don't think the disappointment in the 718 will help the 981 prices very much. I've been keeping my eye on them and they haven't come down much. A very nice 2013 Boxster S is going for around $53k! The options still drive the price up, even with a pre-owned vehicle. I don't know if this is seasonally adjusted or not, but that seems crazy high to me. I would like to see something around $44 for a nice S model.

It may sound silly, but I really dig the 981 lines going from the lower front fender to the side scoop. Gives a much more aggressive look to the car. The wife and I were looking online at a CPO 2013 Aqua Blue Metallic for sale and the two of us said nothing for about 30 seconds until my wife uttered; "Oh My". I think she's more hooked than I am which is VERY dangerous to the budget!
Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
I hear that. Unfortunately, I don't think the disappointment in the 718 will help the 981 prices very much. I've been keeping my eye on them and they haven't come down much. A very nice 2013 Boxster S is going for around $53k! The options still drive the price up, even with a pre-owned vehicle. I don't know if this is seasonally adjusted or not, but that seems crazy high to me. I would like to see something around $44 for a nice S model.

It may sound silly, but I really dig the 981 lines going from the lower front fender to the side scoop. Gives a much more aggressive look to the car. The wife and I were looking online at a CPO 2013 Aqua Blue Metallic for sale and the two of us said nothing for about 30 seconds until my wife uttered; "Oh My". I think she's more hooked than I am which is VERY dangerous to the budget!
I'm not sure how much of that is due to the 718 "disappointment." I suspect it will catch on fast because of the much better performance. The low end grunt of the turbo destroys the naturally aspirated car 981 off the line.

I suspect they are just too new. We are only talking 3-4 years old. The best price I found on an S was one that had been in both front and rear collisions for $40k. Found a couple base models around $35-37k.

My favorite angle on the 981 is the rear, with that curled up spoiler....sweeeeet.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
That is quite a pair. Our 09 S is an amazing car. It is night and day different than our 97. Love both cars. I need to bring my 'A' game for the 09. The 97 is just simple fun.
The 987.2's also get the same size brakes as the S model and you don't need to do anything funky to the oil sump to handle track days. The steering is a bit overdamped at speed, IMHO...almost like they were trying too hard.

The suspension on the base model is much stiffer than the 986...more like a 986 S. It seems to transmit more road noise, unfortunately. Even with the extra layer, the top doesn't seem any quieter...but it isn't the main source of noise anyway, the tires are.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #10

got a 2009 s PDK aqua blue metallic love it eddie

whitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote