Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #1

EPS IMS Bearing Upgrade Kit

Has anyone tried this, looks like a very robust solution:

IMS Bearing Upgrade Kit | EPS

jrebot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The topic has been beat to death. Try a search.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #3

Jrebot2,

Oh, how the love abounds)

There are several different products from a handful of companies and variation’s on how they approach the IMS problems. I would think each chooses what they feel would work best for them to get the desired outcome. The is a lot of info to be found and I have spoken with most of folks hwo design the IMS options and they were very helpful. Each feels they have the best product as they should. We get to figure out which would work best for us.

Enjoy the journey.
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #4

I'm running one. No regrets.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #5

Flaps10,

Lived in Steilacom for 6 yrs I really wished I still did. Did you spend the extra $99 for the oil feed?
Old 11-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

Look up how many times the OP has already asked about this same subject, one that has already been covered to death.

As someone once said, search is your friend.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #7

Was the question asked in relation to the 2002 S the OP has now sold pending funds or the OP's incoming 987?
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #8

Hi, for the 987s 2005
Old 11-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanguy View Post
Flaps10,

Lived in Steilacom for 6 yrs I really wished I still did. Did you spend the extra $99 for the oil feed?
It's a cool town. Super quiet. I've since moved to north Tacoma.

Did not spend the extra $99 but the kit included the punch they suggest you use to pierce the passage anyway. I didn't love that method because you didn't really have control over the size of the hole you make, and the web you are piercing is a very thin cup pressed into the shaft. Whacking it with a hammer and punch didn't seem too smart.

In my case I had the shaft on my bench so I drilled a hole that was in the middle of the range they suggested and blew the chips out. I also pinned my sprocket onto the shaft with set screws, blah, blah.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #10

So how about Oil ??????
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #11

Why would you get an 05 and change the IMS? Cost of doing all that, you could pretty much be in an 06 with virtually no IMS worries?
Old 11-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #12

Thats actually incorrect, mine is an earlier 05 and can change it out. the 06 u have to crack the case or drill it and the 06-08 still fail too
Old 11-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Look up how many times the OP has already asked about this same subject, one that has already been covered to death.

As someone once said, search is your friend.
Wow dude, im new here and trying to learn. Looks like you don't have much to do. I appreciate the search I am using it.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrebot2 View Post
Thats actually incorrect, mine is an earlier 05 and can change it out. the 06 u have to crack the case or drill it and the 06-08 still fail too
Really? Show us the stats on the failure rate on the 06-08? Virtually zero. Silly to buy 05 and change it. Money towards an 06 and leave it alone.

And yes, as others have said, use the search, tons of info all ready asked and answered.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Wow dude, im new here and trying to learn. Looks like you don't have much to do. I appreciate the search I am using it.
New to the forum or new to Internet?
Nobody is trying to give you a hard time, but when you bring up a topic that's been covered to the point of exhaustion, no one will want to participate in a meaningful way.

If I were to state my opinion on the bearing, the same guys I've debated with in the past would jump in with their counterpoints and we'd be having the same debate again. I think we are all tired of that.
There are certain topics we just try not to discuss, like the IMSB choices, oil, tires, cats and guns, etc.

Best of luck!

Last edited by particlewave; 11-22-2016 at 08:25 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:36 AM   #16

Quote:
All 2005's are crapshoot, as it is impossible to know which style bearing is in the car without taking it apart. Production dates are meaningless when it comes to the type of bearing that might be in the engine. You can still have the non serviceable bearing.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:45 AM   #17

Garage
I put one in mine 13K ago. Kit came with slotted oil pump drive shaft. I did use that and punched a small hole through end of the shaft. So far, so good.

Someday when the engine dies, I am going to a postmortem inspection and see how this bearing fared.
ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #18

Garage
One other thought:

One thing that attracted me to the EPS bearing system was ability to modify the oil pump drive shaft and the IMS so that oil would be continuously pumped to the bearing. I know this oil source is not cooled or filtered which is ideal, but still it is a continuous oil supply.

Why could you not combine this feature with a simple, non-sealed single row ball bearing? A ball bearing may be a better solution than a roller bearing and the cost could be minimal depending on the source of the bearing.

I have never seen this option discussed anywhere.
ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #19

This link gives info on ball vs roller bearings.

What
Old 11-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjohn View Post
One other thought:

One thing that attracted me to the EPS bearing system was ability to modify the oil pump drive shaft and the IMS so that oil would be continuously pumped to the bearing. I know this oil source is not cooled or filtered which is ideal, but still it is a continuous oil supply.

Why could you not combine this feature with a simple, non-sealed single row ball bearing? A ball bearing may be a better solution than a roller bearing and the cost could be minimal depending on the source of the bearing.

I have never seen this option discussed anywhere.
Perhaps because the oil pump drives in these engine's are already notoriously weak before you grind a slot in them, punching a hole with a hammer in the pump end shaft seal may not be the best way to control oil flow, and running a flooded IMS shaft may not be the best approach to extending bearing life.