Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
superdim

Clinking sound after startup

Hey guys,

I've got a weird issue with my 2004 Boxster base, and I'm wondering if someone else has experienced this. When I start her up cold first thing in the morning she starts fine, no weird noises (except that crank when the car is in a cold garage). After I've driven to work, back home, and I take her out again that night for a grocery run or whatever, I start her up and there's an almost metallic clinking noise. It scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it, but it seems to go away after driving it for a bit. The weird thing is, I don't hear this noise when I start her cold. Only when I've driven for a while, turn her off, let her sit for a couple hours, and come back and turn her on again.
Here's a quick video of it happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY_5eOmMc8k&feature=youtu.be

I have an oil change coming up this month and I'll definitely mention it at the shop, but just wanted to get some input from other 986 owners.

Cheers,

superdim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #2

So you have a lawn mower.

Can you do us a favour and do another video while the car is outside the garage, because the reflection of the walls and the big room seems to amplify the noise. Also please hold the camera below the car from different positions and try to locate where the noise is coming from.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:53 AM   #3

Sounds like a heat shield rattling to me
Old 02-04-2018, 12:01 AM   #4

Heat shield or catalytic converter on its way out. Doesn’t do it cold, because, well... it’s cold.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #5

Had the same Issue on the 2002 boxer it was the heat Shield.
Badboybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
superdim

Thanks guys!
I'll have the garage check the catalytic converter and heat shield and replace whatever needs to be replaced when I go in for an oil change next week.

superdim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster base , clinking , noise , startup , warming up