Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
duke2003boxster

Camshaft sensor issue

Today 12:05 PM -
baumnutde
Really need some assistance. Several weeks ago, I got a check engine light on my wife's 2003 boxster (2.7 liter engine). The code was P0410, camshaft sensor (right side), I replaced the sensor and still got the CEL. I had the car taken to Bauer Porsche, who removed the engine cover and did an inspection of the camshaft. They even adjusted and tightened up the camshaft adjusters and removed the sprocket. However, after all that, the damn check engine light indicating the camshaft sensor is still coming on!!! We are at our wits end and $1,295.00 loss. Can anyone recommend another option we haven't thought about. The alternative is a complete engine tear down, which would be more than the car is valued at. So, any help would be appreciated.

baumnutde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #2

Last time I checked, P0410 is not a camshaft or camshaft sensor related code, it is a secondary air injection system fault.............

Last edited by JFP in PA; 02-02-2018 at 11:48 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
P0410 is a SAI (secondary air injection) code and has absolutely nothing to do with the cam sensor. Either you posted the wrong code or your shop is ripping you off.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
duke2003boxster

Correction to camshaft CEL -2189

Sorry, but I listed the wrong code, got it confused with my E320 repair. The code was 2189. Any help or assistance would be helpful.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumnutde View Post
Sorry, but I listed the wrong code, got it confused with my E320 repair. The code was 2189. Any help or assistance would be helpful.
P2189 is the code for an overly lean condition on bank #2 at idle, probably a small vacuum leak.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 02-02-2018 at 12:55 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
duke2003boxster

Yeah, well it still cost me $1,291 bucks

Thanks for the information, but the Porsche repair shop is still having an issue with the CEL still being shown on the dash. I have ask them to check for a vacuum leak, but the P2189 code is still showing.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumnutde View Post
Thanks for the information, but the Porsche repair shop is still having an issue with the CEL still being shown on the dash. I have ask them to check for a vacuum leak, but the P2189 code is still showing.
And it will continue to be displayed until the fault is corrected........
Old 02-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #8

Any decent repair shop will have a smoke machine tester that is used for diagnosing EVAP systems on modern cars, it is also great for finding tiny vacuum leaks as smoke will come out of those as well.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

There are many threads in Search on hunting vacuum leaks. Most of the diagnostic/hunting is simple but tedious.Lots of hoses and connectors to carefully remove and inspect. Easy to miss things like a hairline crack. It requires a patient, systematic and thorough approach. Don't assume the first leak you find is the only one !
Find any Thread where replacing all the vac hoses with good quality(USA made) silicone hoses and brass fittings is discussed.Pressure test the Vac Accumulator. The dismantling is very time consuming but even more so is the re-do if you don't go through the entire system.YEMV.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #10

Still doesn’t address why they said it was a camshaft issue and did all that work. I would be speaking to the service manager...

Good luck finding your vacuum leak. I think some here have removed some portion or all of the system completely depending on their state and emissions requirements. It may be one of those tasks I do sometime as we don’t require emissions tests here anymore. The only other downside is if you were to try to sell it afterward.

Last edited by Geof3; 02-05-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote