Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

Cooling system leak?

Ok.
Got my car back after it being in the shop having its bumper fixed and some new front brakes.
Barely got it home and got out to a hissing sound and water? (Was dark so not sure if it was something else) dropping out rear driver side (just in from the wheel) and some steam as it must have been hitting something hot in the engine.)
I'd been to the local tyre garage to have a tyre checked and it was fine there. It was only 6 or 7 mile drive to a shop where after I got out I noticed the steam and small leak. I moved it out of the car park and parked up somewhere more accessible by now there was a good puddle. Thought best to turn off and leave it at this point.
After walking away a few minutes to throw up and ponder the fact the holiday I want to take the family on may now end up in a mechanics back pocket, I returned and turned the engine on briefly to see what warning lights I'd got.
I got no alarms or lights other that the top right cooling gauge flashing red and showing 40.
The normal 5 second oil check was also now stating 55mins!

Ok questions for the experts as ive had this car since mid October and only driven it for about a thousand kilometres before it went in the garage early december to have a bumper fixed (a small crease the dealer said he'd fix for me when i bought it) and some new front brake pads.

How bad is this? Likely cost?
Can i drive it to a local(ish) garage or is it a case of having the car collected/towed at this point.

The dream of calling myself a porsche owner is already starting to turn into a nightmare

Ive included 2 photos. Not the only warning lights on when the engine was started were the seatbelt and parking light icons

Any advice, help appreciated
Mike

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #2

Forgot to say...
2003 (facelift) boxster 2.7

Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #3

Garage
Since you said tyre shop instead of tire shop I assume you are on another continent and car is right hand drive. If so then relax. The coolant expansion tank overflows in that vicinity. What you need to do is check your coolant cap and see if the part number ends in .04. If not replace the cap, refill and purge the system.
The coolant light flashes when the tank level is low. And the countdown timer is increased due to the car not being at temp when SD.

Also forgot to say.....The coolant cap is stupid easy to install incorrectly. Works best to turn backwards until cap drops as threads engage then tighten. I also see the speaker confirming RHD.

Last edited by 911monty; 01-11-2018 at 10:57 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, it's a RHD model, I'm in Cyprus.
There seemed a hell of a lot of liquid so a lot of panic as I'd never seen the cooling system light flash before (and I can't remember what it usually showed on start up) and even when I've left the car in the drive for days, the oil countdown has only ever been about 6 seconds.

I'll check the part number tomorrow when I go back to the car
The car is parked just outside where I work. Fortunately, I was able to walk and get my work car to drive home.
It's about a 8 mile drive to the garage in one direction or 12 mile home in the other!
Can it make a trip or will it require fixing first?
Think for safety if I can move it I'll risk driving it to the garage and have the MOT redone as well as it expires early Feb anyway.
Is there anything to keep an eye on while I'm driving it in case it gets worse?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #5

Had a check online, I get get a 04 cap delivered out here via the forces post (I live over here in Cyprus working for the military) for about £16 so if the cap is not an 04, at least I can change it easy enough... just have to wait 2 weeks for Forces mail!!
Easier than the local garages tho. Stupidly expensive in Cyprus
Old 01-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #6

Garage
If you find an issue with the cap, not latest cross threaded etc, then fill tank to high level with distilled water. You can lift the bail to purge on the drive to the shop. In general the older caps get weak and will leak when SD due to the residual thermal expansion. I'd fill and drive 7-8 miles no problem, although flatbedding would certainly be safer.

The following excerpt from the owners manual compliments of 78F350 to explain the timer.

Last edited by 911monty; 01-11-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #7

Thanks Monty.
The distilled water will just be a temp measure until replaced with proper coolant once I find the problem?

Is the owners manual on here somewhere? I'll do a search. Didn't get one in the car

Also, you mentioned SD twice...
Apologies for being a newbie but what's that stand for? (It's gonna be something obvious but it's midnight here and I just can't think lol!)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg View Post
Thanks Monty.
The distilled water will just be a temp measure until replaced with proper coolant once I find the problem?

Is the owners manual on here somewhere? I'll do a search. Didn't get one in the car

Also, you mentioned SD twice...
Apologies for being a newbie but what's that stand for? (It's gonna be something obvious but it's midnight here and I just can't think lol!)
Depends on what your current antifreeze tests to. The standard coolant mix is 50% coolant and 50% distilled water. The important thing will be the type of coolant currently in your system as certain types are incompatible and cannot be mixed. Yours should be Pink but could be green.

If there is an online owners manual somewhere hopefully someone will provide a link.

SHUT DOWN and get some rest.....LOL.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #9

Garage
No one has mentioned it so far, but you will also want to lift/remove the trunk liner and boards on the side where you saw the leak and check if there is coolant in the trunk under the boards.
If there is coolant under the boards then you likely have the very common failure of the coolant tank. At 15 years of age it is likely to be in need of replacement if it has not already been replaced.

You may want to check this before you order a new cap.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:38 AM   #10

Fill the reservoir with distilled water and leave the jug in the trunk, just in case. Take it someplace that has a lift so it can be inspected up in the air. It may be leaking somewhere up towards the front, right area of the engine--it's a bit of a rats nest of hoses there.

You should be okay to drive it to a shop, keep an eye on the temp gauge and shut it down if it starts to get abnormally hot. You do not want to risk overheating (don't ask me how I know.) Top it off with distilled water if necessary.

If the trunk carpet under the reservoir is wet, you need a new tank. If the car is dripping coolant out of the area under the right rear fender, you need a new tank. If it's dripping in the area just behind the right rear wheel, that's an overflow.

In the US, you can get a tank from a variety of sources for a vast range of prices. The one I'm using was $50 from Amazon, and it seems to be identical to the OEM. If you end up replacing the tank, consider replacing the coolant level sensor, too. Pelican Parts seems to have all the various hoses--or they can get them quickly. No idea what the shipping would be, tho. Probably pretty spendy.

Our cars take a silicate free coolant. I have no idea what's available to you. Modern euro car coolant will do, so will Asian coolant. Here in the the US, Prestone Dexcool compatible seems to be okay.

I feel your anxiety and pain, man. Been there, done that.:dance:
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Fill the reservoir with distilled water and leave the jug in the trunk, just in case. Take it someplace that has a lift so it can be inspected up in the air. It may be leaking somewhere up towards the front, right area of the engine--it's a bit of a rats nest of hoses there.

You should be okay to drive it to a shop, keep an eye on the temp gauge and shut it down if it starts to get abnormally hot. You do not want to risk overheating (don't ask me how I know.) Top it off with distilled water if necessary.

If the trunk carpet under the reservoir is wet, you need a new tank. If the car is dripping coolant out of the area under the right rear fender, you need a new tank. If it's dripping in the area just behind the right rear wheel, that's an overflow.

In the US, you can get a tank from a variety of sources for a vast range of prices. The one I'm using was $50 from Amazon, and it seems to be identical to the OEM. If you end up replacing the tank, consider replacing the coolant level sensor, too. Pelican Parts seems to have all the various hoses--or they can get them quickly. No idea what the shipping would be, tho. Probably pretty spendy.

Our cars take a silicate free coolant. I have no idea what's available to you. Modern euro car coolant will do, so will Asian coolant. Here in the the US, Prestone Dexcool compatible seems to be okay.

I feel your anxiety and pain, man. Been there, done that.:dance:
Ok. Returned to the car today.
Cap looked well sealed and is an 01 model. £16 to get one shipped from UK via forces mail so that's a no brainer to do as a matter of course.
No sign of water around the tank under the carpet. Tank absolutely empty.
Was going to pour some distilled in and check see how fast it came out but the truck arrived to pick it up.
Who knew... comprehensive gold cover in Cyprus entitles you to free recovery.
Had it taken to the shop that did the work over Christmas as they said bring it back.
Asked how long till they look at it and got - "This is cyprus my friend".... so don't expect an update anytime soon but at least it's where it needs to be.
Just wait for the diagnosis.