Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Garage
Headlight covers

I have a 99 Boxster that I love and it is a great car! But,,,,, I really hate the headlights!

Has anyone here tried any of the headlight cover options out there? I personally like the option that covers everything but the headlight. I paint them the same color as the color and I would get an LED turn signal to mount in the front grill.

I would love to hear of anyone who has tried them and to see some pics.

Thanks

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

Garage
I meant to post a pic.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #3

I like em.

Are they reversible? Reminds me of the Boser eyelids people were putting on the MkV VW's in the mid 00's.

But I think these look better as they encapsulate the whole headlight. If the adhesive would ruin the OEM headlights, I'd opt to buy some cheapo ebay lights, and ruin those instead. That way the OEM lights will be available when/if you sell the car.
flynavyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
They look ok on black, but other colors don't hide the fact that they don't sit flush with the body and look very tacked on.

I had a set in white (matched my car) on headlights that I was retrofitting for another member and they looked terrible on the car in person.
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 01-20-2018 at 05:42 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #5

I’ve experimented extensively with a set of these. Removed the adhesive, shaved them as thin as possible etc. They still don’t set flush and look tacked on. I abandoned the project.

IHMO, the pic the OP posted has the actual lenses painted rather than covers over the top of the lenses (along with some body filler/work to hide the seams). That’s the only way I see to get that flush fit. You lose the turn signals and fogs. Particle Wave’s pic is the reality using the covers.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-20-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
I’ve experimented extensively with a set of these. Removed the adhesive, shaved them as thin as possible etc. They still don’t set flush and look tacked on. I abandoned the project.

IHMO, the pic the OP posted has the actual lenses painted rather than covers over the top of the lenses (along with some body filler/work to hide the seams). That’s the only way I see to get that flush fit. You lose the turn signals and fogs. Particle Wave’s pic is the reality using the covers.
Here’s a shot of my best test fitting after painting. Not great (and this is the most flattering angle).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-21-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:22 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Personally I like the 986 headlight look...... very GT1. They look way better than the post 2002 996 droopy headlights. Getting a 987 is the solution if you don't like 986 lights. Those tacky add ons look, well, tacky.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #8

Garage
So if I wanted to paint out the headlights, what method would you use to get a perfect edge on the unpainted portion?
Old 01-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #9

Headlight covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Personally I like the 986 headlight look...... very GT1. They look way better than the post 2002 996 droopy headlights. Getting a 987 is the solution if you don't like 986 lights. Those tacky add ons look, well, tacky.
+1 on what Paul said. I like the 986 headlight look also. I was just screwing around with the covers because I came across a set of cheap TechArt knockoffs.

I think a lot of the dislike regarding the original 986/996 headlights is fading away. Integrated aerodynamic lights are everywhere now, including on Porsche. It’s just not a deal like it was when Porsche sent the ‘purists’ into fits introducing water cooling, shared body panels and aerodynamic integrated headlights all more or less at the same time in the late 1990s. Heck, I remember when the ‘purists’ went ballistic over the 993 headlights.

Here’s a shot of my 986 right side light after I refinished it, finishing with SprayMax 2k catalyst UV headlight clear coat over SprayMax 1k headlight primer. They are in all their glory now, thumbing their collective nose at the naysayers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-21-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjohn View Post
So if I wanted to paint out the headlights, what method would you use to get a perfect edge on the unpainted portion?
The first picture you posted looks like a 996 on rennlist that the owner used vinyl on. He covered the entire headlight and cut out the oval. Looks fine from a few feet away, but trash up close due to uneven cuts that don't follow the curve.

I don't see any way of painting and getting a clean line...not easily, anyway.

Edit: not the same car, but here it is...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/873406-996-to-997-headlight-look-with-gloss-black-vinyl.html

Last edited by particlewave; 01-21-2018 at 02:15 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjohn View Post
I would check out some YouTube videos for the latest techniques and products for bike/auto graphics painting on polycarbonates. A wrap might work long term but could be iffy due to color match problems and heat.

In any case, I would acquire a few non working practice light assemblies from eBay before I went after my good lenses. Personally, I do not recommend either technique. Embrace the horror

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-21-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #12

I did just the borders of mine in plasti-dip, 6 months of Australian sun and no issues or peel so far...

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/68433-tried-plasti-dipping-my-headlight-border.html

I just used painters tape to mask the borders. Not perfect, but acceptable to me for a quick first attempt, and with plasti-dip you can just peel it off and try again if you screw up.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #13

Garage
So I have been thinking about this more after reading the various postings. But, I still am of the mind to change them. I have never liked the Mk I design. I am not an oval light purist, but to me, it is just an ugly design.

I am thinking that painting them is probably the only decent option. And I considering how to get a good, crisp edge on the paint. My lights are the original amber assemblies so I am probably just going to experiment on them.

First I am going to restore the center of the lens that will not be painted. I love the SprayMax results! So I will probably go that route. Then I am going to go to my sign maker buddy. He has a computerized vinyl cutter. I can have him cut some vinyl ovals the shape I need. I could then apply the oval to the headlight and have it painted. I think I could then take a razor and very lightly cut around the edge of the vinyl oval to break the paint adhering to the vinyl. Then remove the vinyl oval.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #14

Here's a good video about how bad they fit :eek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kZUJE4QcQk
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #15

I applied smoke headlight tint film over the whole light unit - then cut out (carefully) the headlight ovals. It was a bit fiddly due to the curves and shape - I used a hairdryer.
It looks good on a dark grey car.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
I applied smoke headlight tint film over the whole light unit - then cut out (carefully) the headlight ovals. It was a bit fiddly due to the curves and shape - I used a hairdryer.
It looks good on a dark grey car.
Although the look is cool I'm not sure it is wise to tint your high beams . . . kinda defeats the idea of 'high' beams.

Last edited by paulofto; 01-24-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #17

I think this is the look you want:

Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Although the look is cool I'm not sure it is wise to tint your high beams . . . kinda defeats the idea of 'high' beams.
The high beams are not tinted - the tint does not cover the actual headlight oval area.
It does cover the fog lights - but makes little or no difference to their output.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
The high beams are not tinted - the tint does not cover the actual headlight oval area.
It does cover the fog lights - but makes little or no difference to their output.
Thanks for the clarification. They do look real cool. Now the the amber turn signals and corners need to be done. Then it will look DAMN COOL!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. They do look real cool. Now the the amber turn signals and corners need to be done. Then it will look DAMN COOL!!!
The amber turn signals and corners are done - they are a bit darker but I hope to try the same idea on a clear set soon. I just need to find a nice cheap set to try!