Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #1

Can someone tell me what's going on with this spoiler?

Been staring at this boxster for about, think this one was actually what made me say "boy - I really DO need to get one of these"....I think the car looks great (except those missing center caps) and I'm trying to figure out what's going on with this spoiler...looks like it's missing, but at the same time doesn't look like the plastic cover that I see under the little pop-up spoiler. Is the photo just misleading me or is this some type of strange aftermarket unit?

flynavyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

IMHO it looks like an aftermarket spoiler.

If you go to inspect the car, reach into the driver's side footwell next to the fuse box and use the switch to manually raise the spoiler. Then you can see exactly what it is.

Often the center caps are removed for track days so the owner may have tracked the car or maybe was just trying to get the track day look. Or they looked bad and were simply removed. Whatever the reason, they can be easily and affordably replaced.

And yes, you DO need one of these! They are awesomely fun and rewarding cars for the money.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-26-2017 at 09:22 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Garage
I saw something similar on a Boxster I looked at years ago. The owner had attached a modified MINI spoiler, it was installed in place of the original spoiler using the original lift components. It was fairly well done, but IMHO looked kinda cheesy and made me wonder what else might be wrong/modified on the car.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

Actually I think I might have figured it out. Noticed that the bumper was different for the 97-02 vs the 03-04 cars. Another difference is the spoiler (it has a bend at the ends vs the 02 and previous that are straight across). Apparently more changed under the spoiler in 03 as well, namely the mounting points. The early models used rivets vs the later design which used clips.

From what I can tell, the spoiler cover (the pretty piece) basically blew off. LoL. So what's exposed is the lower portion of the spoiler cap. It also reads that the 97-02 had the plastic rivets, and the rivets returned for the 05+ installation.

Wonder if a 986 Cayman spoiler would fit on the 03-04 boxster boot? Hmmmm. Here's a picture of the cover and the mount that I found while digging through the net.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Actually I think I might have figured it out. Noticed that the bumper was different for the 97-02 vs the 03-04 cars. Another difference is the spoiler (it has a bend at the ends vs the 02 and previous that are straight across). Apparently more changed under the spoiler in 03 as well, namely the mounting points. The early models used rivets vs the later design which used clips.

From what I can tell, the spoiler cover (the pretty piece) basically blew off. LoL. So what's exposed is the lower portion of the spoiler cap. It also reads that the 97-02 had the plastic rivets, and the rivets returned for the 05+ installation.

Wonder if a 986 Cayman spoiler would fit on the 03-04 boxster boot? Hmmmm. Here's a picture of the cover and the mount that I found while digging through the net.

Do you have a larger picture?
Old 12-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post

You are exactly right. The beauty piece is missing. It wouldn't just get blown off. It has to be removed (with some effort I might add). Find out if the owner still has it and the driver side rollbar mesh (these can get blown out.

Tony
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #7

Car is at a “shady-ish” dealership here in town, so doubt they have either piece. Have priced both, and they’re not terribly expensive, if you can find that specific 03-04 spoiler.

What is amazing is that the dealership has complete maintenance records, so I may go look at the car anyway, it does look gorgeous.

Btw, can a Cayman spoiler be installed on the 03-04 cars?
Old 12-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

The trim is held on by 3 plastic rivets:
999.507.499.40 Expansion Rivet

They just push in those 3 holes you see on the front face. I'm guessing someone removed them to remove the spoiler and then bumper to get into the rear trunk via the emergency cable or the side trunk vents. Been there done that.
Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #9

Garage
The 03~04 models don't have the plastic rivets. The spoiler only clips on to the metal structure.