Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2017, 06:11 AM   #1

survey pdk

just curious how many people
love their pdk...just love mine
eddie

whitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:18 AM   #2

Garage
I thought I was up on my options available for the 986 but what is the PDK option?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 PDK. It is pretty amazing. I usually leave it in 'auto' with the 'sport' button on. The car is smarter and faster than I am. The best part is you can still down shift in 'auto' and it will let the driver take control of gear selection. Which is great for keeping the revs up in the mountains, twisty's or coming off the freeway to slow down. When your done, the car takes back over. I think I have used 'sports+' twice. Too much for street driving and my local traffic conditions.

This question should really be on Rennlist and or Planet 9. 2009 was the first year for PDK.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #4

Garage
I have a general PDK questions.
Since it is a Dual clutch, is replacing the clutches a maintenance item like a typical manual clutch?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
I have a general PDK questions.
Since it is a Dual clutch, is replacing the clutches a maintenance item like a typical manual clutch?
Yes, but with several caveats: The dual clutch is immersed in oil for cooling, so it should last a long time. Currently, there is only one supplier, and it comes as an assembly costing around $5K.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
MWS

Quote:
options available for the 986 but what is the PDK option
I think there might have been a PDK option on the 986 model run (Porsche Dummer Kerl), that consisted of a set of ringed binders (in large font) to explain the absence of an engine in the frunk, a full-body safety reflective jumpsuit (in Porsche orange) and a MP3 player preloaded with the correct pronunciation of Porsche.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
I think there might have been a PDK option on the 986 model run (Porsche Dummer Kerl), that consisted of a set of ringed binders (in large font) to explain the absence of an engine in the frunk, a full-body safety reflective jumpsuit (in Porsche orange) and a MP3 player preloaded with the correct pronunciation of Porsche.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
You forgot about Paragraph X - If you only have 1 rear fog light lighting up - you are in big trouble

Since earlier manual transmissions share the Audi manual, are the PDK's shared between brands as well?
Old 09-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Since earlier manual transmissions share the Audi manual, are the PDK's shared between brands as well?
Not currently.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes, but with several caveats: The dual clutch is immersed in oil for cooling, so it should last a long time. Currently, there is only one supplier, and it comes as an assembly costing around $5K.
Can you estimate what mileage replacement may be needed ?
Old 09-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Can you estimate what mileage replacement may be needed ?
Not really, the system is too new. The only ones we have seen that needed replacement were because the owners beat the living Hell out of them using launch control too often. Even then, they were under warranty so we don't really know how that played out.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:43 AM   #11

down shift in auto...
do you use steering wheel paddles ?
still new to me havent tried manual
ks eddie
whitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:17 AM   #12

I have a 2010 Boxter PDK with 65K Kms on the clock. When I move the gearshift from Drive to Park it makes a definite clunk sound when it goes into Park. Is this normal?

AndriesCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote