Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2023, 06:21 PM   #1

Litronics - Retrofitting factory function

I'm resuming my effort to retrofit the full factory function of the litronic headlights on my 2000 Boxster. As described in this thread: https://www.renntech.org/topic/44528-litronic-retrofit-question/?page=3 and the pdf I attached to that thread, I have retrofitted the hardware required for the factory system.

However, I am pretty sure the low beam headlights are not operating the way they do in the factory set up. The HID low beams do rotate when I turn them on and when I switch on the high beams. They do not appear to do anything to adapt to changing elevation of the road.

I'm contemplating the following as my next steps:

1. Connect pin #A9 (Diagnostic) on the litronic control unit to connection point (CP) 91. I believe that CP 91 corresponds to pin #3 on the OBD diagnostic port. See this wiring diagram:

This may allow me to use my Durametric to scan the litronic system to determine whether there are faulty components.

I'm not 100% confident that will work/enable diagnostics and I may also need to:

2. Find something with a PIWIS to code the ECU to recognize that the car has litronic headlights before I will be able to diagnose the system.

My questions are:

1. Does there seem to be a risk of damaging the car from connecting the diagnostic pin on the litronic control unit to pin #3 on the OBD port.

2. Are there any other connections needed? e.g. Do I need to connect the litronic control unit to the ECU? If so, how?

3. Does my idea make sense or am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance for input.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 01-11-2023 at 06:31 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:08 AM   #2

I realize after reading your thread you've already done a bunch of work trying to get this mod done. This is just a tip if you don't succeed. This is a conversation kit made for Porsche factory litronics to upgrade them to modern Bi-Xenon tech. No more halogen high beams. Xenon high and low beams. Just adjust the headlights low beam manually and it does the rest. I've done it and the light output is amazing, as good if not better than my retrofit LEDs. Like I said just letting you know.

https://retrofitlab.com/collections/porsche-986-boxster/products/porsche-911-996-1-986-boxster-1996-2004-litronic-xenon-headlights

Last edited by JBauer; 01-12-2023 at 07:20 AM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a lot of money invested in this. I obtained most of the parts from Woody (Itsnotanova) several years ago and the lights themselves were a rehab project. This is something that I'm attempting to keep "low risk/high reward." If I am risking damage to the electrical system I'll probably decide to move on.

I also have a 2005 Mercedes C230 that I retrofitted with xenon lights (Mercedes calls them Bi-Xenons) from a junk yard. I'm waiting for a car to show up at the local pick-and-pull with the components I need to retrofit the function of the OEM system.

Both of these projects are something I have on the back burner when I have some time available.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote