Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #1

Rear suspension clunk

Delete please.

Last edited by BertoneP; 09-22-2019 at 06:28 AM.
BertoneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #2

I had the same clunk and the cure was the trailing arm going from the car frame to the lower suspension arm.
The joint at the car frame end did not seem that bad either, but still was the reason for the reeeeeallly annoying clunk. I swapped the TRW's to all for corners and now the car behaves soperbly and is quiet again
pilot4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Racer Boy

It's the trailing arm (or fork) arm. Mine were extremely noisy, but the bushing felt nice and tight. I replaced them anyway, and it took care of the problem.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #4

Thanks for your replies.

Did anyone notice any play between the arm and the retaining studs?
Old 09-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Racer Boy

I didn't notice any play. Most of the bushings/bearings in the suspension will feel fine if you manually try to wiggle them, but we can't put a load on the components like a loaded suspension can.

How many kms or miles are on your Boxster? If you have around 75K miles, or 125K kms on your car, it probably time to start replacing parts. They don't last very long on these cars.

My car had 145K miles on it when I got it, and the suspension had never been refreshed. It was incredibly noisy from all the banging, squeaking, and creaking from the worn out suspension, although it drove really well. It was noisy enough that it was difficult to talk inside the car when moving. Replacing everything fixed all of that, and I went from kind of hating the car to really liking it.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #6

I've got almost 84k miles on my car. I am occasionally hearing a clunk over bumps on the right front and right rear. Shocks, springs, sway bars and bushings have less than 30k miles on them, but coffin arms and trailing arms are still original. Handling is still fine, my car passes tech inspections for HPDEs and my independent shop says everything is fine (they didn't hear the clunk, it doesn't happen all the time). Should I have them changed or wait a bit?
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I've got almost 84k miles on my car. I am occasionally hearing a clunk over bumps on the right front and right rear. Shocks, springs, sway bars and bushings have less than 30k miles on them, but coffin arms and trailing arms are still original. Handling is still fine, my car passes tech inspections for HPDEs and my independent shop says everything is fine (they didn't hear the clunk, it doesn't happen all the time). Should I have them changed or wait a bit?
If the car feels ok around the corners, and just makes some suspension noise and you can live with that noise, there is no urgent need to do anything, in my view.

My car handles just fine...just makes those annoying clunks...
Old 09-20-2019, 03:04 AM   #8

Can anyone confirm that there should be a little play between the studs and the holes were the studs slide into on the suspension arms? Or should it be a tight fit? I.e. no metal to metal noise if you wiggle the stud when in the arm hole....
Old 09-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertoneP View Post
Can anyone confirm that there should be a little play between the studs and the holes were the studs slide into on the suspension arms? Or should it be a tight fit? I.e. no metal to metal noise if you wiggle the stud when in the arm hole....
There should be no play whatsoever where the struts attach. Neither to the body nor to the suspension.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
There should be no play whatsoever where the struts attach. Neither to the body nor to the suspension.
So this play I believe is the reason for the clonking noise.....if so, drilling a bigger hole in the fittings of the fork arms and inserting a thinn metal sleeve so there is no play between arm and stud, could be a cheap solution to the problem. The trw arms are 70 EUR each approx.

What do you think
Old 09-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #11
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
...drilling a bigger hole in the fittings of the fork arms and inserting a thinn metal sleeve so there is no play between arm and stud, could be a cheap solution to the problem.

What do you think
Methinks you have a bigger problem than the trailing arms.

Just sayin'..........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Methinks you have a bigger problem than the trailing arms.

Just sayin'..........

TO
If you say so....

Last edited by BertoneP; 09-21-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #13
Racer Boy

Have you properly torqued the fasteners? If not, you can have some play.

I understand not wanting to spend any money, but you own a Porsche. Everyone in the civilized world knows that it can be expensive to own a Porsche. If you are unwilling to spend 140 euros on consumable parts that are worn out, you should probably just buy a different car. In my experience, the cost of those trailing arms isn't way out of line with other brands of car's major suspension pieces.

In my opinion, drilling things to try and cheap out on properly taking care of a problem is not a good idea.

Last edited by Racer Boy; 09-21-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #14

Quote:
So this play I believe is the reason for the clonking noise.....if so, drilling a bigger hole in the fittings of the fork arms and inserting a thinn metal sleeve so there is no play between arm and stud, could be a cheap solution to the problem. The trw arms are 70 EUR each approx.

What do you think
Drilling them out so you can shim them is a bad idea. That will weaken them.
If safety is to expensive you should sell the car and take public transportation.
For everyones safety.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #15

Hi, and thank you all for your opinions on my proposal.

However, I did not join this community to get lessons from strangers on how I should behave as a Porsche owner.

If you think that I will compromise my or others safety, just to save some euros....or do "cheap things" just to save some money...you are not knowing or understanding me at all. On the other hand, how could you, since you do not know me at all....right?

If you judge DIYers as seeking only to save some money, you are not understanding the essence of forums like this one.

People join forums like this to share experiensense and provide help. And for the satisfaction of repairing things on your own with the help from this forum. But definitively not to be judged....

I have never understood why people, without asking for it, feel the need to judge others ...and telling them to "behave like this or that"...Perhaps it is due to their intolerant nature...??

I believe people like you should not be part of a free forum like this...or more precisely, I do not want to be part of a forum with people like you in them.

Don't bother to answer back since I'm cancelling my user and will not read your replies....if any..

Adios y hasta siempre!
Old 09-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #16
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:

What do you think
You asked for peoples opinions and you got answers you didn't like. All correct observations by the way. And now you pout and run away.

Quite frankly, the forum needs people like piper, teamoxford, blue62 and racer boy. You, on the other hand, the forum can do without.

hasta luego pequeño
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #17
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Hi, and thank you all for your opinions on my proposal.

However, I did not join this community to get lessons from strangers on how I should behave as a Porsche owner.

Well, until you've got several hundred posts under your belt maybe you should consider those lessons.

If you think that I will compromise my or others safety, just to save some euros....or do "cheap things" just to save some money...you are not knowing or understanding me at all. On the other hand, how could you, since you do not know me at all....right?

Oh, we know your type. Want a Porsche... find it expensive to maintain... start considering cheap and unsafe repairs... not to be confused with inexpensive and safe repairs. Find yourself over your head... we get a $2K Boxster.

If you judge DIYers as seeking only to save some money, you are not understanding the essence of forums like this one.

We understand. Just ask some of the members with 10,000+ posts under their belt. Bet you won't find any "drill and fill" recommendations.

People join forums like this to share experiensense and provide help. And for the satisfaction of repairing things on your own with the help from this forum. But definitively not to be judged....

We all judge. Every ****************ing day. Get over it. I'm almost finished concluding my judging Brian in AZ and Maytag. So far they're stand-up guys.

I have never understood why people, without asking for it, feel the need to judge others ...and telling them to "behave like this or that"...Perhaps it is due to their intolerant nature...??

It's because we're realists. I know I wouldn't want to be driving next to you on the 10 next to your drilled out clunker waiting for it to fall apart doing 80 on the freeway. Grow up.

I believe people like you should not be part of a free forum like this...or more precisely, I do not want to be part of a forum with people like you in them.

Buh ****************ing bye.

Don't bother to answer back since I'm cancelling my user and will not read your replies....if any..

Oh, you'll be back to look.

Adios y hasta siempre!
Sin piel de nuestras bolas!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #18

I guess I need to brush up on my Spanish
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:31 AM   #19
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
I guess I need to brush up on my Spanish
Ha ha!!