Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #1

Driver window won't drop.....

Hey Guys,

Dumb question time..... (Many more to follow!) I pulled my door card yesterday to try and fix my driver window issue.... I checked the regulator, expecting to try the "cable tie trick" to fix loose cables..... To my suprise the cables where nice and tight and "the green thing" at the end of the cable was so snug there was no way to get a zip tie in there.... So guessing the privious owner MUST have recently replaced it....

I also replaced the micro switch on the external door handle, as the old one seems spotty....l

Here is my problem....

Lifting the internal and external door handles cause the window motor to engage..... But the window barely moves.... Maybe a 16th of an inch..... Not the 1/4" or more that the passenger side drops... crap....

It does seem like the driver window "may" sit a bit higher in the door then the passenger side.... But not sure that would cause any issues.... But when I open the door handle it is almost like the window is hitting something..... But it goes up and down at the switch with no problem.....

I am also having remote key issues..... One key LED lights, one doesn't but neither do Anything..... Also chasing a intermittent locking of the truck and FRUNK....

I have spent a lot of time searching here and on pelican to search for a solution....
But so far no joy..... FYI the car is dry, and no sign of water in the cabin or under the seat....

Any bright ideas???
Thanks!
Fred

P.S. I Tried pushing the window down when fully closed, to check for a bad regulator.... No luck.... Rock solid....

I tried uploading a video of what it was doing..... But photobucket had its way wth me..... Curses!!! foiled again!

Last edited by 1096369fred; 11-21-2017 at 08:43 AM.
1096369fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #2

I had this same issue. My regulator wad also recently replaced by the previous owner. The only thing that worked was replacing the regulator.
lskolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hello - take a look at the link below for the procedure on replacing your window regulator.

Porsche Boxster Window Regulator Replacement / Window Switch Replacement / Window Motor Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Dmitry at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Changing the regulator requires some adjusting after the fact. There are height adjustments that are accessed from the bottom of the door, thru ob-round rubber caps. You also need to reprogram the top and bottom of the travel. This requires running the window up to stop and holding the button for 5 seconds, if I remember correctly. Followed by running it all the way down to stop and holding for 5. I had to fiddle with mine a bit, to get them to work correctly. The Pelican link is very helpful.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:10 AM   #5

Thanks Guys..... This is a bit of an annoying issue....l I always swear I will not open the door without manually lowering the window.... Yet about 50% of the time I forget.... And curse my stupidity....

Thanks Much!!!
Fred
Old 11-23-2017, 04:29 AM   #6

I followed the guide on Pelican as well and found it very easy

Be sure to clean your window when it's out as if you leave the dirt on it and the window goes back in, the dirt will scratch the window.

I know this from experience...

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:33 AM   #7

Thanks guys!

I ordered a new regulator..... Will report back when I get it changed out!

Thanks much!
Fred