Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Replacement Shifter Recommendations

Hi all!

I'm looking for some guidance. I recently installed a short shift kit on my 986 and now I'm looking for a smaller shifter in general. The throws are shorter but the shifter itself still feels pretty huge. Coming from a BMW Z3 I'm used to the small size of the ZHP shifter. Is there anything in the market like that? All my research has turned up blank. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Aggromuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Ben is currently working on a short sifter with full bearing axis.
In the new design the shifter can accept an after market knob, and can be cut to any desired length.
It might be hard to shift with a shorter lever, but “hard” is a relative word.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggromuffin View Post
Hi all!

I'm looking for some guidance. I recently installed a short shift kit on my 986 and now I'm looking for a smaller shifter in general. The throws are shorter but the shifter itself still feels pretty huge. Coming from a BMW Z3 I'm used to the small size of the ZHP shifter. Is there anything in the market like that? All my research has turned up blank. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sounds to me like you'd be better served by a PDK or automatic with paddles. My daily, a 2.5 ton Dodge truck, has an automatic. Lots of power but slow overall. My Boxster S with the sport 6 speed is fast, throw you in the seat fast and much more fun but still means moving the shifter a few inches for each gear change. Personally, I would find anything shorter worrisome. You are the car when driving a manual.

RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote