Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

wheel studs

so, here is a question. i currently have press-in studs on the front of my car. they are not long enough for the amount of spacer i want to run and i want to replace them with longer ones.

so, once you have pressed-in a stud, are the threads ruined forever after so that i cannot replace them with screw-in studs?

bonus question - possible to get press-in studs out without removing the hub?

thanks.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:25 AM   #2

Garage
I doubt that you can install a threaded stud after using a press in stud The ridges would destroy the threads. However longer press in studs are a possibility. I haven't looked at the bearing holder and hub recently, but I thought there was a spot where there was enough clearance to press a stud out. You might try a clamping ball joint tool to press out the old stud.

You could also try a puller like this one to run the nut on the new stud to pull the new stud into the hub.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 11-04-2017 at 05:29 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Is a helicoil or timesert possible?
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
Is a helicoil or timesert possible?
Hmm, using helicoils on a hub does not sound like a very safe idea, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will pitch in..

PS: perhaps getting a couple of used hubs from Woody may be a safer option.

Last edited by Gilles; 11-04-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #5

Garage
Couldn't you use these type of spacers?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hmm, using helicoils on a hub does not sound like a very safe idea, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will pitch in..
I agree, that is not a good idea. Keeping the wheels on the car is probably the number one thing to worry about.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
Couldn't you use these type of spacers?

that’s a good idea. lots of weight, though, all spinning around. i had a look last night and it should be possible to remove the current press-in studs and fit some longer ones without pulling the hubs. or wait and put some new hubs in when i do the bearings (they are about due anyway).

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote