Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #1

Dash cams 2017

No recent threads I could find. What are you Boxsterites doing for dash cams these days? Taking into consideration:

Video Resolution - 720 or 1080 - file size
Storage Capacity
Night Vision - necessary?
Automatic On/Off
Physical Camera Size - obstruction of view
Loop Recording
Impact Sensor / Parking mode - G-sensor or motion detection? Simple (impact or motion detected by camera), buffered (continuous recording with impact saved) or time lapse?
GPS
Front only or front and back camera
Angle of view?
Installation - Built-in mount? For parking: hard-wiring of power (battery discharge prevention?) or external battery?

Old 11-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #2

I would like to get one, and they can be had for reasonable prices now. But I don't care for the cords hanging down or across the dash to plug into the lighter socket. I know you can get a more professional installation, but I just haven't. So hard wiring for me or not going to do it. That being said, I was looking at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/isYoung-Dashboard-Recorder-Vehicle-Recording/dp/B07252H8SZ/ref=sr_1_9?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1509632753&sr=1-9&keywords=dash+cam

Dave
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:04 AM   #3

Several years ago I bought a BlackVue dash cam for my BMW we use for road trips. It was great. Uses a small micro sd card that can be easily removed and viewed or copied. It has WiFi so you can view it on you smart phone. It has GPS and an array of other features and it gives you options of what you want to activate. I was so impressed that over the years I have added them to all four of our cars and three of the kids cars.

For the Boxster I hardwired it by running the power across the header and down the right side A-pillar. From there I tapped into a switched power line behind the radio. (Another old age moment.... I can't recall which line I used.)

I only have a front camera in the cars though they do offer a 2-channel. Like all consumer electronics, these are getting better and cheaper.

IMHO, the BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW-HD is a great unit.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #4

I’ve had a dash cam going on 5+ years now that I use for road trips. I’ve been wanting to buy another one but one that can be viewed from your smart phone. I just saw this a few days ago that may fit what I’m looking for.
https://shop.getnexar.com
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #5

The trick is to figure out a 'hot in run' power source.
The best location imho is the so-called telephone prep connector. It is tucked away on top of the 'transmission tunnel' ,usually on the pasngr side. Same on a 996.
Just Search - it has 4 conductors to the plug but only 2 are useful =12v+ve and Ground. According to other sources:
Brown - Ground
Yellow - mute signal to radio
Green - Switched 12v
Red - Unswitched 12v
The mating socket from Becker in no longer available. So if you want a 4 pole plug/socket to make it easily removable , suggest you research that also. Flat 4 pole Trailer wiring plug+socket maybe?
It is a 7.5A fuse - so plenty for a Dash Cam.
I suggest you get a dual(front+rear) to help with rear-enders. A good benchmark may be the latest v3 from Street Guardian.

Last edited by Gelbster; 11-02-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote