Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
My Creator Life

Question Thoughts... Possible New Vent Placement

So, I have been thinking of this for a while... What do you guys think of some sort of vent placement behind the rear wheels. I have the ability to pull something like this off but I cant decide on the looks. I personally dig it, but like I said I would really like to hear some opinions. They could function as active break or engine cooling... (These are quick mock-ups I put together...) Thanks for your thoughts!!! ;-)

Last edited by MyCeratorLife; 10-23-2017 at 03:14 PM.
MyCeratorLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Interesting idea, but as rendered would only ventilate the rear wheel well.
Those vents would have to pass through to the engine compartment to offer any cooling effect there.
As for rear brake cooling, it would be overkill. Can’t see a Boxster needing rear brake ducting if the GT3 doesn’t have them.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Looks a purely cosmetic change. I'm pretty sure that part of the fender would open into the trunk. The driver's side would require relocating the rear relay panel. It does look kind of cool.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:52 AM   #4

Garage
I was walking to work yesterday, as my boxster sits at the mechanics thinking what makes a Porsche. One very important philosophy, everything has a purpose, a job a reason for being there. No fake vents, scopes or bumps. Boxsters don't even strut their spoilers until they are needed
Don't stray unless they add something usefull to the car

I had a 02 mustang GT. Loved that car, super fun to drive but the hood and side scopes always bothered me
Old 10-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
I was walking to work yesterday, as my boxster sits at the mechanics thinking what makes a Porsche. One very important philosophy, everything has a purpose, a job a reason for being there. No fake vents, scopes or bumps. Boxsters don't even strut their spoilers until they are needed
Don't stray unless they add something usefull to the car...
hmmm...everything has a purpose...sometimes "just looking good"
I still wonder, what the purpose of my headlight corners (standard headlights, no washers) is, but I am sure, I will give them a purpose...

Last edited by BRAN; 10-24-2017 at 09:56 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That looks awful.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I kind of like the additional design detail of the rear fender vents. Very creative!

Since my car has no trunk linings, I went out and took at look at the rear fender area.

The top of the rear fender would vent into the trunk so I suppose that air could be vented front the rear wheel well (by cutting vents into the wheel well lining) and into the trunk, and then out the top rear fender vent. Of course, this would require that the top of the fender was at a lower air pressure than the interior of the rear wheel well - I have no idea if this is true. If not true, then air might flow the other direction (into fender vent to trunk and out the wheel well). Or something in between. Hard to know.

There is some structure on the fender side of the trunk but there are big holes so you can see thru to the rear tail light cover. I could reach my hand up into the gap and touch the rear fender skin. If you go straight out the side of the trunk at the level of the trunk floor, you hit the bumper cover.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #8

JMHO.....but somebody needs to make a kit to convert the existing side vents to some that look more like the 550 spyder side vents.
RedBluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That looks awful.
+1 to that. It just doesn't work for me. I'll leave it there to prevent make too many future enemies.
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #10

IMO, the design of the rear panels is perfection. I would not change a thing.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #11
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Looks a bit too try hard for me. A chap in the UK on boxa.net has done the front and rear bumper vents in the corners. They look good and give the car a slightly more aggressive and updated look without looking out of place.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #12

I like it. If you would go to that extreme, why not do a vented trunk?
Do what you like, what difference does it matter what we think.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #13

I personally like the way it looks - I think it's kinda cool.

Based on the shape of the rear fenders, I bet it would suck air out beautifully. If you were able to route some ducts from the engine compartment, it might help with cooling. But it might also whistle at higher speeds...

I wouldn't do it to my Boxster, but I could appreciate it if I saw it on someone else's.