Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Advice From Forum Members on Oil Change

I am a new Boxster owner and would appreciate advice. I live in Fort Collins, Co and there is a Porsche dealer, a well known independent primarily Porsche shop, and a very well respected independent shop called Metric Motors that services all types of autos. The Dealer and the independent Porsche shop charge for my 2004 Boxster S oil change 225$. Metric Motors charges 116$ for the same service. When questioned Metric indicated that they use Porsche parts, sleeve etc. and they never have a problem with this service. Should I trust them and save 110$ or go to the other providers? Please don’t recommend my doing it myself; for me that would be laughable! Advice?

JPBJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #2

986 is probably the easiest oil change I've ever done, the only reason it's more expensive is because it uses a ton of oil. I wouldn't worry about any specialized knowledge the dealer may have.

What type of oil is this shop using?
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #3

Garage
DIY cost getting Mobil 1 0-40 from Wal-mart around $65-$70 (10 qrt oil and Napa Filter)

So it comes down to what type of oil their using
Old 10-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #4

They are all using Mobil 1.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

Garage
The only Porche part needed for the Oil Change would be oil filter and there are many oil filters that are similar to if not better than a Porche oil filter. I use Mann Oil Filter; $10.00 on Amazon. So, $80.00 max total for Oil change.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #6

Buy 5qt mobil 0w40 x 2 at walmart for $23 each.

Submit receipt to mobil to get $12 back per bottle

Filter for $10 or so.

30 min for change.

$36 oil change
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBJR View Post
Should I trust them and save 110$ or go to the other providers?
There is no reason to go to the dealer for an oil change. Mobil 1 is Mobil 1 and a Porsche oil filter is a Porsche oil filter. Despite what Porsche wants you to believe, unicorn tears and pixie dust isn't required to maintain/repair a Porsche.

Of course, this assumes that Metric Motors knows what they're doing - but its hard a screw up something as simple an oil change. Check online reviews and talk to a few other local owners to see what their experience with Metric has been.

However, with that being said, I will suggest that building a relationship with a Porsche specific repair shop is a great investment for the future. If you can't work on your car yourself and need to rely on a shop to do all of the maintenance/repairs, you are very likely (like 100% probability) to need a much more major service or repair within the next year or two and then it would be great to know a shop that you can trust for more technical and/or expensive work. The place to start that relationship is with the simple stuff like an oil change (even if it costs a little more than the general repair shop). I'd call the local Porsche indie and ask if they have any "new customer specials" on oil changes. Most shops want to build a relationship with customers and are willing to discount an oil change in order to hope that you come back for the expensive stuff.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-20-2017 at 02:23 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #8

Garage
Just a small thing - new crush washer with the oil change
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #9

Just be sure they put the proper amt of oil in. Too much is just as bad as too little.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

You can go to many quick-lube places and have it done if you supply the oil, the filter and the crush washer. Mine took $10 off their special price so it cost me $25. I watched them like a hawk.

I even had a spare drain plug so they got to start with a clean one and my baggy got the dirty one.

Before that I'd do the oil change using a set of ramps on a sloped driveway. Back part way up the ramps so the rear end of the car was in the air and the oil pan was level.

Oil changes aren't rocket science. Just don't over tighten the drain plug.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #11

Since the car is new to you, I would buy a new oil filter and canister. At my dealer it's about 30 bucks, not much more than the cost of just the filter.

The reason for a new canister is the canister has an oil pressure relief valve that can fail with high mileage.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #12

Garage
It's simple but...

1. Do you have a 14-point 74.4 mm ID oil filter wrench? Do you want one? Would you like an excuse to get one? You do need some kind of oil wrench to get that housing off.

2. Do you have an 8 mm hex socket or need/want one?

3. Do you have a 10 Qt oil pan to drain into? Do you want one or need an excuse to get one. Ancillary funnels are also appropriate with this item.

4. Do you have a cat, do you want one or need an excuse to get one? (In other words you'll need a bag of plane ol cat litter for the oil that doesn't make it into the pan and the oil that slops out while you drag it from under the car and it catches on the expansion joint in the garage floor/ driveway. Additional oil will spill while putting it into the used container for transport to recycle or other usage.)

5. Do you have a place to take the oil for recycle, or a lot of weeds growing up between the cracks in the drive and around the house foundation that you can kill by illegally dumping the oil on them. You really need a lot of weeds for nearly 10 Qts of oil.

If you answered yes to any of these items you are a good candidate for doing your own oil changes. If you answered yes in relation to the need to purchase tools then you really should do your own oil changes.
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marck View Post
you'll need a bag of plane ol cat litter for the oil that doesn't make it into the pan and the oil that slops out while you drag it from under the car and it catches on the expansion joint in the garage floor/ driveway. Additional oil will spill while putting it into the used container for transport to recycle or other usage.)
Thank God. I thought I was the only one who couldn't do a SINGLE oil change without making a mess.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #14

Thanks to all for great advice. I am going to ask Metric if I bring in my own Mobil ! What they will charge. The advice on doing it myself was priceless and excellent advice for a dummy like me. Thanks again all. This forum is great and I have already learned a lot.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #15
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Thank God. I thought I was the only one who couldn't do a SINGLE oil change without making a mess.
Ask me about the time I left the catch pan under the car while I drove down off my ramps
THAT was a fierce mess from hell worthy of a faceplam.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #16

Garage
After I bought my 01 S, first thing I did was change the oil. Followed the instructions, put the 10 liter bucket under the car, pulled the plug, started draining and I walked away. Little did I know the engine had been overfilled and the bucket overfilled. There was oil all over my floor. No fun cleaning that up. Learn my lesson, Get a bigger bucket.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Ask me about the time I left the catch pan under the car while I drove down off my ramps
THAT was a fierce mess from hell worthy of a faceplam.
I did that once too. Had a lake of oil in my driveway worthy of the Exxon Valdez. Only takes once to learn to ALWAYS move it before coming off the ramps.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #18

I get my 15W 50 Mobil 1 Synthetic from WalMart on line from their website.

$25.47 for 5 qt. bottle......FREE SHIPPING - 2 day on orders over $50.00......I usually buy 4 at a time for the Boxster and my Saab turbos.

So a Boxster oil change with filter will cost $60.00.

Oil changes are very easy as outlined here.

Enjoy the car.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:07 AM   #19
On the slippery slope

Garage
To help prevent a Valdez oil spill, I put my oil drain pan in a low plastic container. I use a Sterilite one from wallyworld. If any oil misses the catch pan, it is caught in the container.

Oil changes are easy peezy. DIY is the what to go
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #20

Glad you alive and writing, real-life size drama in SD I've heard recently :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Oil changes are easy peezy. DIY is the what to go
True. but i'd still manage to strip the bolt (the hex part.... with my cheap local undersized hex bit). And certainly would be slammed by a dust right in-my-eye. That special type dust that takes a week to get rid of. What else.... knuckles skin ripped and of course, I will forget my custom cnc'ed flashlight somewhere on a link which eventually should kill the guy following behind.

What else called luck when car mechanics is involved ((4me anyway)). +1 on the independent, just let him chose his oil also lolll