Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2017, 03:51 AM   #1

ATF in my power steering

While investigating a noise that appears to be coming from the alternator or an idler, I noticed a lot of fluid on the LH bank of the engine, under the PAS overflow. Thus, I've checked the reservoir, absolutely bone dry.

Then I've noted, the fluid pooled on the engine looks suspiciously like Dark Red ATF. Some has come out of the overflow tube, Some has also clearly come from the lower end of the plastic reservoir. There's a lot of fluid pooled about, I'v owned the car for 18 months and shamefully never spotted this. I am presuming previous owner has refilled with the wrong stuff.

Is it likely that the ATF has caused seals in the pump or res to fail and hence the leak?

I have a litre of Pentosin on the way - is there an easy return line I can whip off in order to fully purge the system? Chances of any lasting damage elsewhere?

There no other symptoms.

snotrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotrag View Post
Is it likely that the ATF has caused seals in the pump or res to fail and hence the leak?
Its pretty common for the power steering reservoir to leak so its hard to know if the fluid caused the leak. Replacing the fluid may or may not stop the leak, but its probably worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotrag View Post
...is there an easy return line I can whip off in order to fully purge the system?
There are two power steering line couplers (one for high pressure supply line and one for the low pressure return line) under the car on the drivers side that separate the rear power steering lines from the front power steering lines. This is probably the easiest place to open up the system to drain fluid.

The other place is on the steering rack itself, which is fairly easy to get to with the left front wheel removed.

Getting to the lines at the power steering pump is a bit of a PITA in my experience.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #3

Thanks, I've ordered some Pentosin so ill clean up the leaks, refill it and monitor.
snotrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is a diagram of the power steering system; the couplers are #15 and #16.

This is what the coupling between the front and rear power steering lines looks like; I had a leak at the red arrow.
1979 911 SC
Old 10-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Line #1 in the diagram is the high pressure line (which exits the front of the power steering pump) and Line #2 is the low pressure return line (which enters the rear of the power steering pump).

1979 911 SC