Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #1

Smile I Did Everything Wrong But Got Lucky on My Boxster

Thought you would appreciate my new purchase. I am a senior living in the greater Denver area and presently own a Volt and a beautiful BMW Z4. I have owned over the years many superb sport cars but have never had a Porsche. While looking over the new Denver Craigslist adds last Friday I noticed a add for a 2004 Boxster, but not just any Boxster. The listing detailed that this was a Special Edition 2004 Boxster S which could be the lowest mileage Special Edition in the US! I quickly read about the Special Edition and foind out that only 2000 were produced with 500 going to the US! The Boxster was listed with 13000 miles and the owner was a senior who had to sell the car in a two day time period or it would go back to storage. This was because he was leaving for his other home in Phoenix. Unfortunately, when I called him I was informed that the car was sold within 20minutes of the listing and he was driving the car north of Denver to the new owner. He said thanks but an hour later I got a call from him saying the new owners wife looked at the car and said the car would be a chick magnet and would not let him buy it! What are the odds of that? In addition he said he was north of Denver in a small town called Loveland, which is where I live. I said stay where you are and I will be there in 5 minutes. When I saw this absolutely pristine car I knew I was going to buy it on the spot. The IMs was done and fluids changed but I blew off a PPI and took a chance on the buyer and the car! We completed the purchase that day and I now had two great sport cars in my garage. When I took it to the local Porsche dealer the service reps. drooled over the car and said they had never seen a Special Edition before and said it looked better than new! Let’s jusy say I was LUCKY but I also paid a premium price of 19k for the car. Now I don’t mind paying a premium price for a special car. I have been driving it all over town and several other Porsche drivers have come up to look at and admire the car! I will post pics. when I get a chance but if other Forum members are interested you can google several articles on a Special Edition. I look forward to learning more from the Forum and hope my leap of faith is lasting! I already can say “what a car”.

JPBJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #2

Garage
Congratulations and good luck.

Of course, post photos, or it never happened.
RobertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #3

Congratulations, that's awesome! I hope I get as lucky as you. I'm purchasing a 2001 S and I settled for a multi point inspection in lieu of a proper PPI. I trust the seller and I'm taking that leap of faith tomorrow, actually. Pictures incoming

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Aggromuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Welcome to the forum. There were only 1953 SE 550's produced so your car is rarer than you think.

Have fun and post some pics!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #5

I have a Craigslist addiction and I saw that ad. It did look like a beautiful car.
Welcome and enjoy!
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
1999 base

Garage
welcome to the forum.
also post some pics of all the chicks you magnetized by now
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
MWS

10 years ago, I decided I wanted a Boxster. I found one that I fell in love with, but my wife was on the fence. The private seller was very accommodating, and offered to buy back the car if I wasn't completely thrilled; coincidentally this was the same time we had our BMW in for service and was given a Z4 as a loaner. As a result, I had magical 3 days with both cars to drive, test and compare. Not to fault the Z4, but honestly, there is no comparison....just 2 COMPLETELY different cars; something that I am sure you will discover.

10 years later, and I still have the Box (perhaps the longest I have owned a car), and recently I was actually offered MORE than I paid for it. My response? Nope.

I will caution, you will pay more for service (even preventative maintenance) for the Boxster over the Z4 (unless it's the M), making cost of ownership higher, but it's totally worth it.

My advice is to drive the car like it was designed. Please don't treat it like a golf cart. I swear these cars have feelings, and if they don't get played with, they end up hating you.

Best wishes, and enjoy!
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
My advice is to drive the car like it was designed. Please don't treat it like a golf cart. I swear these cars have feelings, and if they don't get played with, they end up hating you.

Great, my Box must really love me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
Administrator

Congratulations and welcome! I am here if you ever have any forum questions and be sure to check out our free tech library for any fixes and/or repairs you may need now or in the future. Enjoy your time here.

Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:50 AM   #10
Project Addicted

Great story!! As Robert said, no pics, didn't happen :-)

In this case, its better to be lucky than good. These are excellent cars and you will enjoy it immensely.

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote