Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #1

What is this button and where can I find a replacement? (2001 porsche boxster)

Hiya,

Driving to the gym early in the morning and in my half asleep haze I think i may have pushed this button down too hard, thinking it was the windows. On my car, it doesn't do anything (not's not labeled and doesn't connect to anything). I tried pulling it out with needle nose pliers, but i don't see a way to pull it out through the hole that housed it earlier.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it out or where to get a replacement?

Thanks!

(1st post!)

grendel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
do you have a ashtray or just a pocket where the switches seat?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

Garage
Those are the seat heater buttons. Do you have an actually button there, like the window button, or just a blank cover? Any way this might help Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Intregrated Garage Door Opener
It will show you how to get that section apart and figure out what's going on.

If the buttons don't actually turn on the seat heaters, assuming it so equipped, then you my have a blown fuse for the seat heater.
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #4

Remove your ashtray - just hinge it "open" and lift straight up and out. Then, remove the fastener(s) below ashtray. You should now be able to remove the center console trim piece in which the power window switches, seat heater switches (or blank/dummy switches, as sounds like your car is equipped), and the ashtray mounts to. Access the broken blank/dummy switch from underneath, and ascertain if broken (if so, get replacement somewhere - just a simple piece of black, ABS molded plastic) or possibly, it just need to be pushed back upwards until snaps into position. Don't press down on it so hard next time (obviously!)

Porsche dealer can probably get a replacement brand new switch dummy blank, or otherwise go to an auto recycler, like Woody here on the forum, or someone else parting a used Boxster (without seat heaters.)

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
do you have a ashtray or just a pocket where the switches seat?
Just an ash tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Remove your ashtray - just hinge it "open" and lift straight up and out. Then, remove the fastener(s) below ashtray. You should now be able to remove the center console trim piece in which the power window switches, seat heater switches (or blank/dummy switches, as sounds like your car is equipped), and the ashtray mounts to. Access the broken blank/dummy switch from underneath, and ascertain if broken (if so, get replacement somewhere - just a simple piece of black, ABS molded plastic) or possibly, it just need to be pushed back upwards until snaps into position. Don't press down on it so hard next time (obviously!)

Porsche dealer can probably get a replacement brand new switch dummy blank, or otherwise go to an auto recycler, like Woody here on the forum, or someone else parting a used Boxster (without seat heaters.)

Good luck!
This is awesome, thanks! I'll try this today!

grendel20 is offline   Reply With Quote