Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 05:04 PM   #1

Garage
Door locks not working

OK so I've had my 98 Boxster for a couple of weeks and can't believe I didn't check that the door locks worked but I didn't so I'm a doofus and I'd probably still be looking for one. Anyway here's the problem:

Click the key fob door lock and I hear noises (3 times) that appear to only be coming from the fuel door lock. The driver and passenger door don't make any noise. The central lock switch never has a light on and doesn't lock the doors. It doesn't actually do anything I can tell. The drivers door will lock with the key but the passenger door does not lock. The motor for the fuel door sounds like it cycles 3 times but never locks. I get no horn sounds ever. I do hear two clicks after locking the door with the key or pressing the fob button. The key will raise and lower the windows. The Windows will lower when you open the door and raise when you close it, both sides. The dash LED never blinks.

I've taken apart the passenger door and checked the lock mechanism. I don't think it's working. I actually dismantled the lock mechanism and tried running 12 volts to the little lock motor and got nothing. I'm not sure that would actually work anyway.

I suspect the fuel door lock motor just had a broker part or some obstruction. Guessing it's trying to lock but can't. Also guessing the driver and passenger lock motors are bad.

What should I be looking for and checking? I do have a new passenger door lock mechanism on order.

Oh.. and the alarm box under the seat looks perfect. Possibly too perfect like it's been replaced. But the car starts no problem etc, I just can't get the remote to lock the doors. Also the rear trunk/boot unlocks with the remote just fine.

I've looked at a few threads on similar issues but few people post a resolution of the issue.

Ideas????

marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #2

Garage
I have the same problem with my 01. My key fob fires work on a random basis. I think I may have a loose connection under the seat or the driver's door lock.
Garymyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:31 AM   #3

I also have this same problem with my 01 S.

Using the remote the thing make a noise like its locking then immediately unlocks.

I'm thinking a limit microswitch is not working as all the locks are making noise.
The durametric is also showing a code, something like "lock limit not achieved".

I did replace the engine, ignition and security electronics as a matched set from a dismantler as I managed to fry my engine computer.

I do get 2 beeps when I lock the drivers side manually with the key.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garymyn View Post
I have the same problem with my 01. My key fob fires work on a random basis. I think I may have a loose connection under the seat or the driver's door lock.
Sounds like your Key FOB buttons are failing.

Look for Particlewave's fix for this in the DIY section. He has also fixed them if you send them in to him.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #5

Garage
1 down.
I finally got around to replacing the door lock mechanism in the passenger door which resolved the issue with that door. The drivers side is still a bit of an issue.

I can lock the drivers door with the key and this will lock the passenger door and I can see the LEDs flashing on the central lock button and the dash sensor. I can then unlock the passenger door with the button on the key but it does not unlock the drivers door. The key in the door will also unlock the divers side and the passenger side. So I can live with this for now, I can actually lock the doors.

Now I've got to try and find a door lock for the drivers side that's not $270. I hear the VW mechanism will work and they are only about $60.

marck is offline   Reply With Quote