Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
R3v01u7i0n4ry

Center console cylinder lock removal/replacement?

Hey everybody, first off I just want to say that the wealth of knowledge on this forum is blind blowing. The amount of time and trouble you all have saved me from all the post's I have read is awesome.

onto my question, So a month or so back my 2000 boxster was broken into and the center console compartment lid ripped open, breaking the latch on the lock-mechanism and compartment lid. Since then I have acquired a replacement center console but want to exchange the lock cylinder on the lock-mechanism so my key will lock and unlock the compartment. I have looked all over the place for how the lock-mechanism dissembles and studied blueprint/schematics of the center console but have yet to figure out how to replace the lock cylinder and was hoping one of you all might be able to explain how to release the lock cylinder in detail or guide me to a source online that can explain it.

jdstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
as far as i remember, it is 1 or two screws holding the lock from inside the consol.
just look at the new one you got. it should be pretty obvious.
let me know if it doesn't work out for you, and i'll try to get you a picture.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
R3v01u7i0n4ry

I've got the whole lock assembly removed from the console but what I am having trouble with figuring out how to remove the lock cylinder itself from the whole lock assembly mechanism. The problem is the the latch my current lock mechanism is broken. I have the lock mechanism from the replacement console but my key will not work with the lock cylinder so I need to replace the lock cyclinder in the replacement lock mechanism with the lock cylinder from my vehicle. I hope that make sense. I'll try to post picutres in a bit.

jdstro is offline   Reply With Quote