Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

Scanner question

Probably like Dracula Movies....been done to death...but

I have a Durametric for my Boxster , but I also have a code reader from Harbor freight that seems to be almost worthless (Thanks mom for the Christmas present). Does anyone have a CRP123 or Launch X431 and how well so they work ??

I was trying to read codes with my Harbor Freight for my good friend on her BMW128I and nothing showed up......nothing...saif couldn't communicate with vehicle , I tried every way and nothing...so any idea if I decide to acquire a new general purpose scanner in the future...and I am talking under or around $200 bucks...bot 5 grand.

Thanks in advance

Dwight

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
My +/- $50 HF scanner works on the Volvo, Porsche and the Mazda. Reads and clears and also has a graphing function that I can export and print out. Does it/has it ever worked on a generic US vehicle?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #3

I've got to agree with Rex, my HF cheapy scanner has worked just great to get me out of my bind! Not a detailed scanner such as the Durametric but for basic troubleshooting if you are in harmony with basic understandings of p-codes it suffices. Obd2 codes in general for the most part just point you in the general direction of where the problem may lie. It is by no means perfect.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:22 AM   #4

One of the shortcomings of Harbor Freight is quality control. You may have a faulty unit.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:09 AM   #5

I wanted something to use with my non-Porsche cars (I have a Durametric), so I bought an OTC Scan Tool (OTC-3208) that does OBDII and ABS and it did a great job of identifying the cause of the ABS problems on my GM vehicle (front right wheel sensor wire).

Got it on ebay for $69.50 with free shipping. I've had good luck with more expensive OTC readers in the past (Monitor 2000/4000/etc) so I figured I'd give the 3208 a chance. I figured it was worth a try. It's cheap. It's simple. It works. It was just what I was looking for.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
I wanted something to use with my non-Porsche cars (I have a Durametric), so I bought an OTC Scan Tool (OTC-3208) that does OBDII and ABS and it did a great job of identifying the cause of the ABS problems on my GM vehicle (front right wheel sensor wire).

Got it on ebay for $69.50 with free shipping. I've had good luck with more expensive OTC readers in the past (Monitor 2000/4000/etc) so I figured I'd give the 3208 a chance. I figured it was worth a try. It's cheap. It's simple. It works. It was just what I was looking for.
OTC are made by Bosh and work very well for me as well.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

This is the one I have

https://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd-ii-scan-tool-with-abs-60794.html

I read and reset a code on my neighbors Ford truck, the code it gave was a cryptic code and not a ford OBDII code....but I could reset it.

It would be nice if it gave the actual codes generated by the car so you could look them up.....it would not even talk to any of the three BMW's I tried
Old 09-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #8

Garage
A second PC based program I use is Dyno Scan. It looks similar to Durametrics not quite as may feature but it has real-time diagnostics. Live data storage and retrieval. live dat monitor wave monitor screens for O2 and MAF sensors. on sale online $119.

0-60 & 1/8 mi tracking torque and HP, graphs
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 09-18-2017 at 05:17 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #9

I contacted them

No access to ABS systems or maintenance resets