Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

Garage
03 Dipstick Hard to insert

I had my engine changed last winter (IMS failure). While I had periodically checked the oil level with the gauge on the cluster, this last weekend I decided to check the dipstick. The dipstick, which used to slide right in with just a little jiggling, now was very hard to insert. Multiple tries and needing to almost force it in.

I'm wondering if the plastic tubes that connect the trunk opening to the engine could not be properly connected or broken.

Would checking this be visible from the engine opening reached by putting the top in the service position? If not how do I inspect it?

Thanks, Carlos

2003 Boxster S Tiptronic

Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I will not be tempted...
I will refrain from juvenile comments...

Yes, you can follow the tube down to the block. Is it hard to insert or is it when you've got it halfway in? ... Seriously.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I will not be tempted...
I will refrain from juvenile comments...
Ha, I wrote my suggestion and erased for the same reason...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #4

Garage
This is the first time I have used the dipstick since the engine was swapped. The gauge on my cluster shows oil as FULL but the dipstick came out dry. Leading to my suspicion that it wasn't actually making its way to the block. And you have to feed the dipstick by holding it near the opening in the trunk and pushing it inch by inch.

If I open the engine access hatch on the top of the engine will I see the dipstick tube ?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Yes. The reason for my question was because you may not see the vey first part behind the firewall, but you can see the rest of the tube going down to the block. You may need an inspection mirror and a good light.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:41 AM   #6

The dipstick tubes can crack . The dipstick can pop out of the tube and not go into the engine. Easy fix. I replaced mine. Woody probably has one.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:03 AM   #7

FYI, I've heard of the dipstick making contact with a positive cable on the back of the starter and creating a short. I have one car that had an engine fire that i believe was created by the dipstick
Old 09-01-2017, 04:16 AM   #8

Garage
Thanks all I will check this weekend. Woody - thanks for alerting me to the fire risk - that definitely got my attention

Is there a DIY on replacing these parts, is it obvious what you need to do, and if I need to replace parts will I need special tools (I'm familiar with how tight working space can be)
Old 09-01-2017, 04:17 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Yes. The reason for my question was because you may not see the vey first part behind the firewall, but you can see the rest of the tube going down to the block. You may need an inspection mirror and a good light.
It starts normally but gets sticky about half way in. That's when you need to force it in
Old 09-01-2017, 04:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
Thanks all I will check this weekend. Woody - thanks for alerting me to the fire risk - that definitely got my attention

Is there a DIY on replacing these parts, is it obvious what you need to do, and if I need to replace parts will I need special tools (I'm familiar with how tight working space can be)
You maybe will need a pair of pliers for the tabs up top, but the bottom has a push button release. The bottom can be difficult to reach and release sometimes. I sell the dipstick and tube for $15+shipping
Old 09-01-2017, 05:01 AM   #11

Garage
Thx Woody. Piece of mind dictates that I open it up this weekend and take a look
Old 09-03-2017, 05:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
FYI, I've heard of the dipstick making contact with a positive cable on the back of the starter and creating a short. I have one car that had an engine fire that i believe was created by the dipstick
That was me. And yes it did happen.Luckily it didn`t short.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #13

A long time Porsche Mechanic warned me (a noob) to also be careful when inserting and removing the dipstick so as to not break off the plastic at the end. That's not a good thing to have loose in the engine. Just thought I'd pass that along.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #14

Garage
Finally had a chance to go in the engine compartment and have a look. I think I found the tube the dipstick slides into, and not only could I not see that the dipstick had pierced it, but I felt it closely and didn't find any problems. It's a hard tube that transitions to rubber near where it exits the engine, right?

And I had forgotten what a joy it was to open that compartment and then put it all back again, especially as I have the Bose speaker on the read shelf. Glad I didn't have to replace anything -- that space is tight

My only remaining question is that my gauge in the cluster reads a little over full (ihad recently added a quart) and the dipstick is barely showing any oil. Which one should I believe?