Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #1

Mystery Rattle!

I've had some rattles on my 01S with 55k all summer. I spent an afternoon under the car and found a loose plastic cover and a rear brake splash guard that rattled - both fixed. The worst one is still there. I get a rattle that seems to be coming from the right side (I can't tell if front or back) when I slow down to a stop in neutral or sometimes when I do a slow left turn. I checked all of the suspension components and they seemed fine. Anyone have an idea what I should be looking for?

CdnRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:35 AM   #2

Motor mounts?
Exhaust?
Exhaust tips?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #3

Donovan, try describing the sound the best you can. What does it sound like and at what frequency. Sure it will help to pin point the cause or at least eliminate a few.

Can't help on that one personally but surely those folks with multiple boxster ownership will be able to help

Can imagine how annoying, luck bud
Old 08-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #4

CdnRD it's probably a motor mount or exhaust. But I thought I would mention this to you. I have a 01S 6sp with 95K miles. When I first got the car it would occasionally rattle when I was stopped in traffic. Checked all the suspension components and couldn't find it. I had the car on 4 jack stands and removed the aluminum transmission cover and found that a few bolts attaching my passenger side axle shaft CV joint to the transmission were really loose. Removed them all, checked out the shaft, installed and torqued the bolts to spec and no more rattle in traffic.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #5

Check for excessive movement in your exhaust tip when you blip the throttle. If they move a lot, suspect your motor mounts. If they are leaking the fluid is pretty stinky.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
still plays with cars...

Garage
I had a phantom rattle which turned out to be a loose heat shield on the RS secondary cat pipe. Silenced it with a stainless steel worm drive clamp and it's been silent ever since.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote