Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #1

Boxster instruments dead! HELP!!

Hi, fellow Porsche fanatics. I'm new to this site and new 2001 Boxster S owner. Just had it delivered and the battery was dead. I charged it and started the car - NICE SOUND!. My issue is this: although I have all accessories working (lights, AC fan, radio, turn sig, etc.) my instruments do not come alive. In addition, even with the key out, and lights confirmed off, I have a constant dinging sound coming from the dash area.

Any trouble shooting advice? Thanks in advance.

DoctorJ

DoctorJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #2

Garage
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html
Old 08-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #3

New technique I've learn recently, called the Robert King Technique! He told me, start with the obvious: fuses, connectors, while batt disconnected/refit the harness in its place, ignition switch as recommended already....

The Nine8Six technique: tap twice on the dash with the palm of your hand (medium/hard lolll)

Luck with that trouble bud, and welcome to the boxclub!

edit: cool dyi to learn how to tear it apart, nicely:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement.htm

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-29-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #4

Smile Boxster instruments dead! HELP!

It could be the ignition switch at fault. But, before you go changing it out, make sure your key(s) aren't causing the issue. If you have more than one (many don't), check both keys. If one works properly and the other does not, it could be partially due to a faulting key/fob... The instrument cluster not lighting would seem to indicate a failed fuse in the circuit. It could still be the switch but, being that it starts, I find that difficult to believe. As someone else on this forum has dubbed it the "Robert King Technique" always go for the easiest, simplest solutions first. fuses, connections, etc. One thing I can say is, the key switch mechanism is seldom at fault when lighting issues are involved. Don't get me wrong here, the switch can cause weird issues especially if it has been damaged in some way but, it's basically a series of rotary contacts that are either engaged or aren't when you turn the key.

My advise, for what it's worth, check the fuses first.

On a side note, tell us about your S... Mine is 3.2L 6speed manual, Black Metallic exterior, Black leather interior. Factory wheels with new powder coat closer to the arctic silver trim interior. Stock CDR 220 head, dash only speakers

Last edited by RobertKing; 08-29-2017 at 09:18 PM.
RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote