Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2017, 05:28 AM   #41

They are US$1,600 at my end. Heard from a bird you get them cheaper in the USA which almost got me to import. Too much on the schedule to bother so I've just passed the list of parts to our local service center to deal with. I ordered two "genuine Porsche parts" courtesy carpets also. Those aftermarket carpets I had left a huge stain on the passenger side and light one on the driver side. Cheap dyee... I even see the stain from the red stiches they had. That was from the moisture the wet under-carpet had built-in.

Car outdoor, covered, humid carpet, 40+dC with above 85 ambient humidity all summer here. Took 2 month it "entirely" destroyed the interior of my boxster (beauty of it anyway) + the immobilizer internals.

This car's interior looked and fell brand new, I need this fixed asap. Couldn't care less about performance mods... Just Got To Look Good LOL

BEWARE Folks. They all say "The worst thing you can do to sport car is to let it stand there doing nothing". I can prove that statement.

and guess what... its back in its destructive shh*thole for a few more days, rain forecast ahead (its out of here next weekend, going back indoor. seriously.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:46 AM   #42

Garage
I had the same problem last year and tried to fix it myself but didn't know about the eeprom that could be reprogrammed as I have a reader programmer and a soldering station. I decided to go to the dealer this year step on my pride and was happy I did so as now everything works like when I first bought it. Also the immobilizer and key that I bought and had installed at the dealer both stopped working after a month and I returned the car to the dealer and they replaced them again under warranty 2 years. The cost was 2000.00 for the immobilizer the new key and an oil change and spring checkup right here in Ottawa. I should have listened to Particlewave the first time and go to the dealer.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #43

Frank, that's pretty inspirational. Although I can get fresh South Suchuan Rice supplies for the next 25 years for that kind of money

How did your immo saw its last day? if you don't mind me asking.... looking for internet grieving groups lolllll If it blew up by itself(twice?) then please avoid letting me know, need to sleep later on
Old 08-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #44

Garage
Mine saw it's last days when I had a flood under the my seat. I had it repaired but it didn't work out. I know what you mean but I was expecting more than the 2 thousand as it stayed at the dealer for a few weeks. I could have bought a nice set of golf clubs for that price.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:47 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3230 View Post
I could have bought a nice set of golf clubs for that price.
Balls + membership renewal for another year possibly. Ah well, all for good reasons I'm sure. For the immo side I'll try to limit the cost the best I can... just so I can afford a new carpet + insulation. Hopefully one that is dry and without the nasty bronze/rust color from the seat rails and the black & red dye my dearest aftermarket carpets left us :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post

As for the repairing it, it is good that you got it out and dried out ASAP. The problem is, if it gets to the point where functions start to fail, you have corrosion under the relays. The ONLY way to fix that is to desolder the relays, clean it up thoroughly (soap and water with a brush is good), dry it and repair the damage. That may include replacing relays. I would also replace the electrolytic cap any time the immobilizer gets wet.

Steve
Qmulus Technology
Steve - was removing those relays supposed to be fun?

Geez those NEC were almost impossible to kick off that PCB. I've never really had to remove many components during my past years as a janitor... mostly prefer trowing the whole thing (and pcb) in the garbage and starting from scratch lolll In the case of a Porsche immo... guess we can't escape this mess :/

Really worth changing the cap you think? Test meter set at 20k and its not rolling up much, dies at 15ohm then goes back to zero... fried?! Obviously going for NEW parts so I've already ordered both the Siemens and NEC sets of relays. And a cap, apparently. Anything else while at it?

Why all this??? Cuz Porsche kindly refused to reprog a second-hand immo my indy found for me. Said it will never work. Now looking for the same P/N eeproom kit around here. If we can't find that I don't think I'll bother you, or add to your already busy schedule I'm sure, I'll just get the real deal at P and call it a day instead (a $1,740 day!).

Let's try your tips first! Please save my car, and my wallet, Steve

^ Still good for a few extra thousand miles, right?

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-30-2017 at 03:51 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:17 AM   #46

Garage
Is the carpet really that bad? I just pulled mine out to the console used a shop vac to suck the water out of the padding and let it dry for three weeks while I was on holiday and when I came back was all dry then I scrubbed it real well and sprayed some spray that I bought at Canadian Tire to get the smell out of the carpet and it now looks like new.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:35 AM   #47

Is it really that bad... everybody has an opinion I guess. Place back those aftermarket carpets where they original were positioned and those markings magically vanish! That carpet certainly seen better days though... getting old bud. Besides I've always wanted to get that black/grease/oil stain off the passenger side removed also, killing me since 2005 (The Airport Pickup Day, still have nightmares today lolll). With light color flooring... 1 (one) visible stain and the whole thing is ruined - that's all you see really.

Car is not for sale also, will never be. Family toy. Plenty of good reasons to just get it to look at least half decent

ps; In terms of "mech/failure/repairs", it is the first time in 20 years I have to dosh out in the 4 digits (apart from the roof). Hard to believe I know
Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #48
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Balls + membership renewal for another year possibly. Ah well, all for good reasons I'm sure. For the immo side I'll try to limit the cost the best I can... just so I can afford a new carpet + insulation. Hopefully one that is dry and without the nasty bronze/rust color from the seat rails and the black & red dye my dearest aftermarket carpets left us :/

Steve - was removing those relays supposed to be fun?

Geez those NEC were almost impossible to kick off that PCB. I've never really had to remove many components during my past years as a janitor... mostly prefer trowing the whole thing (and pcb) in the garbage and starting from scratch lolll In the case of a Porsche immo... guess we can't escape this mess :/

Really worth changing the cap you think? Test meter set at 20k and its not rolling up much, dies at 15ohm then goes back to zero... fried?! Obviously going for NEW parts so I've already ordered both the Siemens and NEC sets of relays. And a cap, apparently. Anything else while at it?

Why all this??? Cuz Porsche kindly refused to reprog a second-hand immo my indy found for me. Said it will never work. Now looking for the same P/N eeproom kit around here. If we can't find that I don't think I'll bother you, or add to your already busy schedule I'm sure, I'll just get the real deal at P and call it a day instead (a $1,740 day!).

Let's try your tips first! Please save my car, and my wallet, Steve

^ Still good for a few extra thousand miles, right?
Sending a PM. I have a few ideas for you.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #49

Hey guys, really great read on this thread.

Rebuilding these units is difficult even for our techs because they were built "fragile" and components are so close together.

Most units are not even worth the work and therefore need replacement.

Definitely keep your rain drains clean!!
ECU Doctors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECU Doctors View Post
built "fragile" and components are so close together
Fragile; yes indeed. Needs to be done by a professional If you've never done that kind of work before, rest assured some of the traces or vias are going to snap off.

Thanks for joining in Doc. For your tech team... they need to buy My China Super Duper eyewear kit. There is roughly 1.5 kilometers between each pins/components when working under it. Which actually makes you work 1.5x slower as you move from pins-2-pins though LOLL Cheap cheap... $200

Hard work man :/

Old 08-31-2017, 06:09 AM   #51

Fred, good luck to get your '97 back on the road.

And you may have saved me big time, as I read your post in one morning, took my Boxster out to work only to leave it parked outside through severe thunderstorm in the afternoon. I have been cleaning the drain etc but your post just reminded me to check carpet behind the driver seat as I got in the car before heading home and sure enough, there was pool of water there... I took my shop towel to evacuate water so it would not slush around to fry my immo, and I could safely drive home and dry it all out. If I did not read your post that morning, I could have been in the same boat with you right now... so thank you!!!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #52

Saved!

Yea those drains are pretty meaningless during a 'heavy' rain, it simply overwhelms the drains capacity. Mine were kept clean also. My pinky/finger barely makes it in a centimeter deep... so bloody small it's nearly ridiculous to call those "drains". Porsche: you are reading this?

In my case water sloshing is what everybody here is suspecting (as you've prevented, u r smarter than me man). Beyond my understanding though as I've removed pretty much all that I could find from behind the seat when it happened. However I've drove the car a day after that rain event to use my indy's industrial Shop Vac. His parking lot is awkward and to turn into it the car needs to bank something like 10~15degree on the driver's side. This is what makes them all believe I'm the one who screwed up lolll

I (personally) still blame 20 y of accumulated humidity so keep an eye on yours yearly and make sure (paramount) the car is vented properly once it gets wet.

Love your alias btw, creative LOL
Old 08-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #53

Why nobody is asking "then why we have a 5A fuse on the immobilizer itself and more in the footwell?"

funny.....
Old 08-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #54

Nine8Six

The 5Amp fuse is there for when there is a different kind of short in the harness of the car.

You really have to be messing around with the alarm system of the car to trip that fuse. Because we never see that fuse blown when fixing Immobilizer for Boxster or 996s.

Maybe it's "over-engineered"...who knows, but it is needed. That's why we include a fuse extension in our WaterProof Case.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #55

Sorry, seemed to have missed something here...

...2,050bhp?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:47 PM   #56

Sorry to break it to you but yea, its fast man. You too can have it modified...

Throttlebody lips needs to sealed almost air tight to get the boxster car above 2kHP.

https://youtu.be/w9YluPOyXmg?t=59
Old 09-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #57

Build thread? Videos? Etc?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Build thread? Videos? Etc?
Typo, mate. I let the keyboard decide when it comes to ego-horsepower, especially on this sport car forum

The Porsche Boxster 2.5L is 205.00 HP, scientifically speaking.
  • 126.72HP when wind blowing from the front and with 85KG excess of water in the carpet.
  • 0.00HP when you have a soupy immobolizer.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Typo, mate. I let the keyboard decide when it comes to ego-horsepower, especially on this sport car forum

The Porsche Boxster 2.5L is 205.00 HP, scientifically speaking.
  • 126.72HP when wind blowing from the front and with 85KG excess of water in the carpet.
  • 0.00HP when you have a soupy immobolizer.
Hahahahaha