Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #1

Upgraded Pedals

Thinking of upgrading the pedals (EpiqTodd's website). Have any of you guys done this? Easy to do? Does it change the way the pedals feel?

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #2

Are you talking about just putting metal pedals on? You didn't give a link.

I'm not a fan of metal pedals--I feel like they're way too slippery, even with the little rubber nubs that some of them come with. Especially not good if you don't want to raise the height of the pedals--some taller guys might not appreciate even the small amount of extra height that replacement pedals can give.

And the people that say they're for performance are kidding themselves--who needs a heel extension when the gas pedal is hinged at the bottom?

They do look cool though.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:50 PM   #3

The little rubber nubs can fall off as I found two of those falling off of mine and had to put it back on.

Looks great but scores zero for performance IMO.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #4

The Rennline pedals that we sell are the absolute top quality - these aren't the cheap ebay knockoffs. I've been to four track events and had them for several months of around town driving and not a single rubber knob has even come loose, much less knocked out.

I find FAR more grip on these than the stock rubber boot-style coverings, and in fact they are thinner than the rubber boots on the clutch and brake by about 5mm. I disagree strongly that there is no performance advantage, as why would all race cars have aluminum pedals, and the grip I find is greater, plus the slightly increased surface area on the throttle pedal makes for a better contact patch.

Eslai, yes, the pedal is hinged at the bottom, but if your heel doesn't touch the pedal, it doesn't matter where it is hinged. The Porsche throttle pedal is very sensitive, so putting a pedal extension on it help make it easier for the heel to hit the throttle pedal and do a proper blip. The Porsche pedals are spaced quite far apart compared to other performance vehicles, and until I put on my Rennlines and the lower pedal extension, I couldn't consistently heel-toe while i could in any other manual transmission car I drove. They do make a difference - try it before you knock it.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/pro_boxster_aluminum_pedal_sets.php

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg

Last edited by EPIQTodd; 07-22-2006 at 09:16 PM.
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #5

Somehow I found that the old rubber has better grip...but maybe it's just me. I guess the friction depends on the nature of the two surfaces (what materials and how smooth). Does all rubber has better friction than aluminum surface + rubber? Anybody good with physics please enlighten me. Jim?

Mine is from ultimatepedals.com, not a bad quality since I could customized with logo..just make sure to screw those little bugger knobs all the way in, which requires constant pushing and turning action (and scrapped fingers).
Old 07-23-2006, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIQTodd
, as why would all race cars have aluminum pedals,
I am not an expert or anything but dont the Porsche factory racers come with rubber pedal pads? Also dont you want your foot to slide on the gas pedal so you have smooth transitions, just a thought. It really comes down to what you want, I stick with the old cheap rubber, because I am cheap, in all my cars, race car included.

Enjoy the day

Thom
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #7

EpiqTodd, do you find heel and toe more natural with the change in pedals?? I finally got used to the stock pedals enough to make heel and toe a bit more natural but I had to modify my right foot placement compared to what I am used to.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #8

I've used racing pedals before on race cars and street cars, everything I'm saying is from personal experience, just wanted to make that clear.

Quote:
as why would all race cars have aluminum pedals, and the grip I find is greater, plus the slightly increased surface area on the throttle pedal makes for a better contact patch.
A race car is a race car, not a street car. In a race car, you wear race shoes that are very thin and very grippy. Race shoes and race pedals also usually are dry. Most of the problems I've ever had on the street have been when I walk into a car with metal pedals while wearing any sort of shoe during wet weather.

I don't see the benefit in a street car of using racing pedals that will impede your year-round driving experience. It's a totally different environment.

Quote:
Eslai, yes, the pedal is hinged at the bottom, but if your heel doesn't touch the pedal, it doesn't matter where it is hinged. The Porsche throttle pedal is very sensitive, so putting a pedal extension on it help make it easier for the heel to hit the throttle pedal and do a proper blip. The Porsche pedals are spaced quite far apart compared to other performance vehicles, and until I put on my Rennlines and the lower pedal extension, I couldn't consistently heel-toe while i could in any other manual transmission car I drove. They do make a difference - try it before you knock it.
The reason I haven't had any desire to extend the pedals in my car is that I have absolutely ZERO problem heel-toeing with the stock pedals. I don't know how anyone could have a problem. My feet are average size, and I blip throttle every day without ever missing the pedals.

A pedal extension near the hinge makes no sense to me--you'd have to have a baby's foot to need it, from what I can tell!

The pedals you sell are nice and I like that they don't say "Porsche" on them (do people REALLY need their pedals to tell them what kind of car they drive?) but I see no practical benefit.

Last edited by eslai; 07-23-2006 at 10:26 AM.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #9

I have the ones seen on the home page of the Ultimate Pedals website on the 928 and love them. They are way less slick than the rubber pads that were replaced and feel nicer. I don't have the nubs on them, just straight aluminum with a cross-hatch grip pattern on them. It's a great look and feel that I would do on the Boxster if it weren't the wife's daily driver. She's not too fond of the look.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #10

proper technique knees together feet apart. try it I bet most dont do this. strange at first but once you get acustom you will heel toe better.
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #11

I have been driving with a set that I purchased off of eBay for the past month. I am very pleased with them. The quality was much better than what I expected and the price was super. They have a piece of rubber on the back which makes it impossible for the rubber nubs to fall out. Very easy to put on, took about an hour. They feel a lot better to me than the stock rubber pieces but I seriously doubt they make much difference performance wise on the street. Course I usually wear boots with industrial style soles so pedal grip was never much of a problem. Look cool as hell though. That's why I bought 'em.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #12

Must have skinny thighs

In almost 45 years I've never had a car in which I could put my knees together while driving. Including in the Boxster I've always had to sit with my knees splayed with the wheel in between them.
KKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #13

The only thing I really hate about our car is the metal pedals. Unfortunately, the rubber pads are long gone.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:42 AM   #14

Hi,

I've driven many cars with them and without them. To me, any difference is mainly placebic. My Formula Vee has straight aluminum pedals, no rubber, cross-hatching or perforations. I wear Racing Shoes (Mid-height) and with lots of 1g+ maneuvering I've never had a problem.

For a Street Car it's mostly an aesthetic thing, if you like em, buy em. But I echo most of Eslai's thoughts...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-24-2006 at 06:58 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Thinking of upgrading the pedals (EpiqTodd's website). Have any of you guys done this? Easy to do? Does it change the way the pedals feel?

I upgraded to Ruf pedals. it takes about 45 min..you have to drill holes and screw the pedals over the existing rubber pedals.
it changes your pedal feel(stiffer) and takes away the worn out rubber look.

porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote