Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 04:20 AM   #1

Upgraded from base '98 with 5 speed to base '10 987.2 with pdk (observations.)

Just upgraded from a '98 base with 5 speed to a '10 with pdk. Here are some observations.

1. Love the more aggressive look.

2. PDK without sport package has weird downshift behavior...even in manual mode. It doesn't just match revs temporally. It holds them for far too long. Need to use brakes to generate engine braking.

3. Suspension is much stiffer, even on the base model, but roll resistance seems about the same. I preferred the previous suspension which handled wonderfully without being quite so punishing on these crappy Michigan roads.

4. Acceleration is definitely better.

5. Fuel economy is likewise improved (got stuck in a line of construction traffic on way home from picking up car. Driving a constant 45mph in 7th saw 36 mpg!)

6. While top has a bit better insulation the car isn't any quieter as road noise, coming up through suspension is the main source of noise.

7. Top up/down at speed is wonderful.

8. Radio with PCM 3.0 and nav is still crap. I miss the Pioneer 6200NEX upgrade in the 986. Speakers on the other hand are very good (Bose) once I switched to linear. Otherwise it was just boomy with muffled midrange.

9. Soft touch paint peeling is annoying.

10. Glovebox is nice. Cupholders...meh.

11. Steering seems oddly overdamped at speed. Typically steering lightens up at higher speeds. It feels like Porsche, in an attempt to make the car feel more sporty, is adding artificial damping to the steering...making it firmer than even non-assisted steering.

P.S. I'm already pining away for a 981....S. Baby steps.

Last edited by Disaster; 08-09-2017 at 05:34 AM.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:53 AM   #2

Tires can make a big difference in ride. What's on your '10?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Tires can make a big difference in ride. What's on your '10?
Tires are similar....in fact, I was surprised to find the base tires in the '10 had were 55 series on the front (205 17's) and 50 on the rear (235's.) I've haven't owned a car with 55 series tires in years...let alone a sports car! On my '98 the rears are 40 series 255 17's with 50 series 205 fronts. I

I drove several 987.2's while shopping and they were are all much stiffer than my '98 986...no matter what tire size, brand or model they ran on.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:59 AM   #4

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
How do you like the cabin compared to the 986? I find when I am in my moms 987 it feels like the cabin is a lot smaller, hate the aircon and factory radio in the 987. Could just be that my 986 has the full leather interior option though
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
How do you like the cabin compared to the 986? I find when I am in my moms 987 it feels like the cabin is a lot smaller, hate the aircon and factory radio in the 987. Could just be that my 986 has the full leather interior option though
Feels the same...maybe just a bit upscale but this one has full leather too. I like the center armrest height being closer to the side armrest instead of lower, like on the 986. Miss the rear compartment storage with the Bose. Don't notice a difference in A/C. Biggest disappointment is PCM 3 which is a complicated mess with things like trip meters using their own screen, and settings hidden in menus. The previous owner neglected to buy the $350 USB/AUX input. To add it now would cost $525 for the hardware plus probably $200 to get it programmed at the dealer.