Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #1

how to get in to see the engine

I just bought a 2000 boxter from a private party but this person never open the car to see the engine and I just want to see how to take a look at it

victor a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor a
I just bought a 2000 boxter from a private party but this person never open the car to see the engine and I just want to see how to take a look at it

okay, i also have a 2000. to see the engine, open the convertable top so that there is about 4-6 inche gap between the top and the top of the windshield. once that is done you can unstrap a cable that is connected to the rear of the top(it is a "cup/ball connection at the end of the cable). there is one on both sides of the car. after that fold the top towards the front of the carso you have access to the storage box thing behind the seats. turn the black locks to loosen the compartment and pull it out. followed by the carpet/mat under that. you will now see the engine compartment lid. turn all 5 or 6 locks to loosen the lid and pull it directly off. And there you go, your in the engine compartment. Its kinda hard to describe so i did the best i could. I think there is a picture instruction in the manual somewhere.

2000 Porsche Boxster
-Straight-piped from cats back
-MOMO race seats
-Schnell short shifter
-RJS Harness
-High flow intake
-Eibach lowering springs
-Bilstein sport shocks
kyle986driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #3

1 Open top about 4"
2 take key out
3 pull off lower ball head of convertible top tensioning cable (they just pop off)
4 unclip and pull down fabric covering rod from two holders at base of bulkhead
5 fold rear part of convertible top foward until you feel it engage
6 remove retaining spring clips from convertible top compartment lid arms at left and right side(this is the piece that lifts up as you lower and raise the top)
7 slide compartment cover up and forward until bore in arm aligns with bore in hinge bracket. install drift through bores left and right (or punch)
8 loosen carpeted cover retaining locks and remover cover (this is the piece that has the two sliding doors)
9 loosen retaining locks of top engine cover. remove cover. (this is exposed when you remove the piece with the two sliding doors)

Bam theres your motor. I have done this once and these instructions are straight out of a repair manual but pics really help.
My opinion the motor is not that exciting to look at, if you want to see more of the motor you have to take the pass seat out and another cover.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
bmussatti

I think the engine looks pretty cool from the underside, when on a lift!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #5

victor, did you get an owners manuel with the car? The procedure is also in there. Though if your like many of us that purchased a used boxster, the manuel was missing.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote