Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

Garage
Zen and the Art of 986 Maintenance

Are you the type to fix your 986 yourself when it needs something done or is it something for the Indy or dealer to deal with?

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #2

at 133K miles, My car has never been to a professional mechanic for repair or maintenance outside of wheel alignment. Not saying I won't do it at some point but with all the great resources online, I've been able to tackle all the typical repairs.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
In my world, letting another man service your car is akin to letting another man service your wife.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
I am No. 1348

Garage
Not having a lift and some of the special tools kind of prohibits me from doing major work. I had my Indy do the major engine work for the RMS, IMS, and AOS. Also, too much at stake to screw it up not having don this before.

With that said, I've done all the other maintenance on the vehicle; brakes, rotors, fluids, filters, electrical, lights, etc. All my previous cars have been taken to the dealer and worked on under warranty. I enjoy getting my hands dirty again with the Box.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
Charles, how can I possibly post seriously after that analogy?!
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Charles, how can I possibly post seriously after that analogy?!

All in jest! Time, tools and expensive equipment can seriously limit the amount of work some can do.
Personally, I've only visited a mechanic once for the RMS on my old Neon years ago. I could have done it, but is was my daily driver beater car and I was working overtime, so needed it done quickly and I simply didn't have the time.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
In my world, letting another man service your car is akin to letting another man service your wife.
oh...we have a slightly different saying here....letting another man DRIVE your car is akin ... you know the rest.
Some goes for pens
Old 07-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I love that and agree 100000% as long as you're not a in a swinger club or something, lol
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #9

Garage
It depends on skills, time, and tools available.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

Have not had to do much at all on either of the 986s i've owned but I try to do as much as I can myself.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #11
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Aside from bodywork , I've done everything myself.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:48 PM   #12

Aside from having Flat-6 completely rebuild my engine and install an IMS Solution, I do all my own work. Except mounting/balancing tires and alignments...

I love the wife analogy! LOL
Old 07-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Are you the type to fix your 986 yourself when it needs something done or is it something for the Indy or dealer to deal with?

I have a great Indy shop nearby. Mostly alignments, track inspection prior to events. I do most of what I can myself. Oil changes, gearbox oil change, radiator changed, plugs, filters, lights, belt and pulleys, brakes and rotors, top covering and top components and more all DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #14
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
I have a great Indy shop nearby. I do most of what I can myself. Oil changes, gearbox oil change, radiator changed, plugs, filters, lights, belt and pulleys, brakes and rotors, top covering and top components and more all DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same page here...
I've done most of that list myself.
I have my Indy do what I'm not comfortable (IMS retrofit) or what would take me a whole lot longer than he can do (CV boots on my S).
He also matches or beats dealer price on most parts and saves me the hour+ drive one way.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
It depends on skills, time, and tools available.
That would apply to Charles's analogy as well
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #16

I'll do some easy things myself - , install a new battery, clean radiator ducts and radiators, replace horns, brake pads and rotors, install Ben006 short shifter, replace gas cap, install rear speaker kit, add OBC stalk with PDwight cables, but I have my Indy do all the heavy jobs, and anything that requires removal of the engine covers, putting the car on a lift or safely disposing of hazardous waste like oil or brake fluid.

I even did my ignition switch replacement once, and the one I put in only lasted 7 months. When that failed I was at my Indy and the mechanic replaced it in about 15 minutes without taking out any ducts or vents. So I don't think I'll ever do that myself again!

Re the title of this thread, I tried to read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." I got about halfway through it and lost interest, but I would say that I have a similar attitude about maintaining my Boxster, even if I don't do everything myself.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #17

I've had my car for a little more than a month, and I've done some minor things myself (2DIN stereo, O2 sensor, water pump and ignition switch). I'm happy to give bigger jobs a shot - it's not my primary car so having it on jack stands in the garage for several days isn't an issue - the biggest roadblock for me is my sad (but improving) tool collection.

I figure that buying new tools to get a job done will typically cost less than taking it into a shop, so as long as I enjoy doing the work, why not?
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #18

Common/easy I do. Things that need a rack or special tools I often take to non-Porsche specializing places (O2 sensors for an example). Porsche specialized things I find the best indie or in desperation a dealer. In 5 years, 2 trips to the dealer, one to an indie, two to muffler shops, rest me.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
There is nothing short of some programming that can't be done with patience and following the myriad of online guides.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:36 AM   #20
Luckyed

Garage
I am not one of those guys that can use a tool with proficiency the first time, although I have a brother that is practically a Macgyver and can seemingly fix anything.
Whereas I am not totally helpless, I am relegated to simple projects that I can't screw up too badly.
Front trunk strut replacement, battery replacement, convertible top module replacement, oil changes.....easy stuff.
Although late last year a buddy helped me swap out the defective 3 stalk control for a 4 stalk with OBC activation. But that is pretty much it.
I paid my Indy to replace my water pump/belt a couple years ago.